• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Healthy" Beardie not eating

EbrietasDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Okay I'll start with my enclosure and beardie specs to get it out of the way;
Ebrietas: 6mo old bearded dragon
250grams
Enclosure: 40gal Breeder tank (32x24x24??? something close to this)
Hot side: 80-90 degrees F, depending on how hot my house is that day
Cool side: 70-75 degrees F
Basking Spot: 100-107 degrees F
UVB: Reptisun 10 // T5 // 28"
Substrate: Reptile Carpet
Cool Hide Log, Warm Hide Rock Cave
Temperatures taken with digital probe, temp gun and digital stick on thermometers
Bathed 2-3 times a week (since she isnt pooping)
Usual food: Dubias, Silk Worms, Crickets // Dandelion Greens, Bok Choy, Collard Greens // 50:50 ish
1 meal dusted with calcium every day. 1 meal dusted with calcium +D3 1 day/week

Okay, now that thats out of the way, let me start close to the beginning...
Back in February Ebrietas had Coccidia, she was given Albon for 21 days (til around end of March). Fecal check came back with "no parasites seen" after the meds were finished. Her appetite never wavered while she was on Albon. i also need to mention that the basking bulb i had at this time was not keeping the tank warm enough and i didnt realize for a couple weeks. i also had a MegaRay MVB bulb that was aparently putting out not nearly enough UVB. Fast forward to about 3-4 weeks ago. I noticed her feeding slowing down. She would usually eat 20crickets(or 15med dubias), 3x per day plus one or two salads. I get all new bulbs (basking and UVB) take her to the vet for an exam and they say she looks great, weight is good (248g) and nothing abnormal is seen. Feeding changes even more, she started eating less, less frequently. Fast forward to about 2.5 weeks ago and she has begun to eat maybe one cricket or dubia every couple days, or even no insects but some salad instead. Last Friday i take her to get an xray and bloodwork ($392 later), i get the results and again "she looks great".
So, now i can get her to eat maybe a silk worm or two a day and sometimes a little bit of salad. when she hasnt eaten salad in a while i give her droplets of water to stay hydrated. ive also begun to offer her repashy blended with greens and roachs out of a syringe (which or some reason she is GLADLY lapping up... but wont eat food she has to chew?). Ive been weighing her and she hasnt lost any weight at all this last month... i should also mention that she went from pooping every day between 10-11am to now pooping once every 5 days ish? i am stumped and im out of things to try and research. can anyone help me???

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay I'll start with my enclosure and beardie specs to get it out of the way;
Ebrietas: 6mo old bearded dragon
250grams
Enclosure: 40gal Breeder tank (32x24x24??? something close to this)
Hot side: 80-90 degrees F, depending on how hot my house is that day
Cool side: 70-75 degrees F
Basking Spot: 100-107 degrees F
UVB: Reptisun 10 // T5 // 28"
Substrate: Reptile Carpet
Cool Hide Log, Warm Hide Rock Cave
Temperatures taken with digital probe, temp gun and digital stick on thermometers
Bathed 2-3 times a week (since she isnt pooping)
Usual food: Dubias, Silk Worms, Crickets // Dandelion Greens, Bok Choy, Collard Greens // 50:50 ish
1 meal dusted with calcium every day. 1 meal dusted with calcium +D3 1 day/week

Okay, now that thats out of the way, let me start close to the beginning...
Back in February Ebrietas had Coccidia, she was given Albon for 21 days (til around end of March). Fecal check came back with "no parasites seen" after the meds were finished. Her appetite never wavered while she was on Albon. i also need to mention that the basking bulb i had at this time was not keeping the tank warm enough and i didnt realize for a couple weeks. i also had a MegaRay MVB bulb that was aparently putting out not nearly enough UVB. Fast forward to about 3-4 weeks ago. I noticed her feeding slowing down. She would usually eat 20crickets(or 15med dubias), 3x per day plus one or two salads. I get all new bulbs (basking and UVB) take her to the vet for an exam and they say she looks great, weight is good (248g) and nothing abnormal is seen. Feeding changes even more, she started eating less, less frequently. Fast forward to about 2.5 weeks ago and she has begun to eat maybe one cricket or dubia every couple days, or even no insects but some salad instead. Last Friday i take her to get an xray and bloodwork ($392 later), i get the results and again "she looks great".
So, now i can get her to eat maybe a silk worm or two a day and sometimes a little bit of salad. when she hasnt eaten salad in a while i give her droplets of water to stay hydrated. ive also begun to offer her repashy blended with greens and roachs out of a syringe (which or some reason she is GLADLY lapping up... but wont eat food she has to chew?). Ive been weighing her and she hasnt lost any weight at all this last month... i should also mention that she went from pooping every day between 10-11am to now pooping once every 5 days ish? i am stumped and im out of things to try and research. can anyone help me???
Where is your T 5? Top of screen or inside the tank? The screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or wide hole type--

EbrietasDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where is your T 5? Top of screen or inside the tank? The screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or wide hole type--
It's on top, the screen has wide holes. Considering figuring out a way to mount it inside later tonight..

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's on top, the screen has wide holes. Considering figuring out a way to mount it inside later tonight..
Ok you can leave on top but the basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly under it--- if you want to wait a few days to see if her behavior changes you can - if it does not then try inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly underneath- she could be going thru a phase of not eating since you know how much she weighs keep track of it weighing her on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams-- if she's not losing weight and everything else is up to par basking pooping active and the temps and UVB are all good then let her be- I went thru this w/ my now 3 year old about 1.5 years ago spent $500 trying to find out why he would not eat --- force fed him for a week finally I just quit figuring he would eat on his own - 2 days later he started eating again -- turns out there was nothing wrong w/ him - they do go off their food-- and she sounds like she's of good weight--

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It sounds like you’ve done every possible thing you could :( sorry your stressin, its good you came here though, maybe someone will give u an idea. beardies do slow down on their intake around 6-9 months, maybe this could be what’s happening? (Maybe try spicing up her bugs with new vitamins and maybe different bugs?) (my girl will eat 100 super worms if i let her) I remember when my beardie was at 8 months she would eat a huge hornworm a couple crickets (only a couple cause they’re dirty feeders) two 1 inch discoids and maybe 5 large super worms? And some salad, Now im lucky if shell even take a second roach (some days she even refuses to eat) (but like i said above she will eat an endless amount of supers if i offered them) keep a log of your beardies weight daily (maybe weigh it twice a day) i hope you get some answers soon.

Latest posts