• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Having problems with crickets

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Let me start by saying I have a very picky dragon lol seems like its getting harder for me to get her to eat at first she was a pig which I know if was because she was a baby but now she's only five months old and it used to be she would not eat one cricket unless they were dusted and now even if they are dusted she still won't touch them. I have to basically hand feed her either giant mealworms or super worms(yes, I take the heads off the super worms)please help. I've also noticed if I give her kale she'll eat some right away but the only other two things she'll touch is dandelion leaves or mustard greens not a lot just a bit or two why isn't she stating and she won't eat anything canned or pellets....like I said picky unless someone knows a canned,Jared, or bagged food that I should try. As well as yes her tank temps are all correct.
IMG_20130513_151807_508.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
(yes, I take the heads off the super worms)
The so-called dangers that this practice stems from, are nothing more than Myth & Old Wives Tales, it is totally unnecessary.

You may want to try Tough Love rather than spoiling it with worms & hand feeding. It won't hurt for it to go without food for a day or 2, it will eat when it's hungry enough.

GroomerMo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
How bout switching the basking bulb and uvb bulb for a zoo med power sun bulb so I'd only need the one light I heard of would increase their appetite is that true among other claims of faster digestion and more active? So basically is it better to have the two fixture or just the one with a power sun bulb?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
MVBs are designed for larger enclosures than are generally used for BDs. They require a Minimum safe distance between the BD & the Bulb, that generally can not be provided in the relatively small enclosures that are usually used for BDs. Very often at these minimum safe distances, MVBs may not provide the temps required for BDs and a second bulb is required to supplement the heat anyway. From a 100W MVB, a BD cannot have access to any closer than 12", from a 160W MVB - no less than 15" is needed & many MVB manufacturers recommend 18-20" to be on the safer side. Unless you have a very huge\tall enclosure, I would not recommend a Powersun or any other MVB.

Powersun setup instructions ...
Powersun_zpsac1c55b7.jpg

Mega-Ray setup diagram - different Brand but illustrates the distances required for both brands of MVB bulbs to be safe & effective as a UVB source.
Mega-Ray001.jpg

Latest posts