• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Goop

Strawberry

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
about a week ago i noticed that my 5 year old bearded dragon had goop in his left eye. i gave him a bath that washed the goop away and i figured it was nothing, but it came back 3 or 4 times after that. i have no idea what it might be other than somethings getting in his eye but i dont know what. any ideas?

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i have e few dragons with chronic eye problems so i always keep flurbiprofen (anti inflammatory) and ofloxacin (antibiotic) eye drops on hand at all times. the ofloxacin can also be used to help with sinus infections (a drop in the nostril) but consult a vet first!:)

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
What UVB light are you using?
How long have you been using it?
What is your substrate?

Strawberry

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
my substrate is now sand, in less than a week tho im using reptile carpet that i already got. i've used the same UVB since ii first got the dragons, a year and a half ago. it is the avian sun 5.0 uvb light by zoo med. here it is:
NnfX67lN2Orm1VJIv8xktyhXmaSZ02vRSTmMvcp1DQfXBQpl-bybnfxzGqdK9ttR6wq1K-XCgS5yk4PbFg2tz4by3-WRvzR6up3f3NmItTIAbc-I6fzjo2cPNY68KIiIuFVmTdF9_ak1xej-NlDx2UQ9QK09TPIRx8L1zQ5ZDf-mdXJn

Zoo Med AS-C5 Avian Sun 5.0 Compact Florescent Bulb

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
There could be 2 possible issues then. 1st some sand may have gotten in the eye irritating it. Switching to the carpet will prevent this from happening again
2nd, youre using a compact coil UVB, the best is the reptisun 10.0UVB linear bulb, the one youre using now does NOT emit enough (Its only a 5.0) or the correct wavelength UVB needed by bearded dragons, switch it off asap. Also UVB bulbs MUST be replaced every 6 months regardless if they still emit light or not. The UVB output is way off after that time period. Incorrect UVB can also cause eye issues especially coil bulbs.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Switch out the sand. Like P said, you can use the reptile carpet. I like using a non-adhesive shelf liner (with no holes) that you can buy from anywhere, I got mine from Walmart. When they go to the bathroom you can just wipe it up.

And +1 for what P said about the UVB ;)

Strawberry

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
thank you guys so so much! i have purchased a reptile carpet and tomorrow i am going to look at some new UVB lights!

Strawberry

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
this is the new light i got today, as soon as i installed the beardies were much more active. they didnt have the longer bulb in the store, so i grabbed this one. is it the right one?

images

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah that NEW one is also a COMPACT COIL, you need a LINEAR TUBE, the looooooooong ones like the fluoressants we use in our homes BUT the reptile kind

Since its only a day old, maybe you can swop it for the tube one

Latest posts