• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glass Surfing

Jackie_esposito

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does anyone know more information on glass surfing or when they scratch at the glass. I know it could be the refection or stress but I just want to see other people's opinions or observations. Thanks :)

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I can say this with great certainty. Bearded Dragons are meant to be free. The very fact that they run and keep active in the wilderness, is another way they help their metabolism run properly. We use heat in their home, to help maintain their systems properly. That does a pretty good job but cannot do it all IMO. When Bearded Dragons, at least what I have experienced over the years, start to act as if they need to run, and go up against the glass, it is their way of trying to increase their bodies metabolism by running but they can't because they are in an enclosure and are stuck!. When they are able to run free, it makes defecation easier and there is less pain and strain in the lower bowels and rectum. I remember my Beardie was outside her terrarium. She was running all over the place and when she ran, she was defecating. Beardies are not like dogs where they will sit in one area, and make a deposit. They do it in terrariums because there is no where to run. But I'm a Podiatrist so maybe my views are different than most peoples :rolleyes:. I hope I was of some help?

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I hope no one misunderstood my comment "being a Podiatrist?" It was self deprecating. I'm sitting here trying to give an explanation and all the while saying to myself how I am answering like a Veterinarian while being a Podiatrist. The dichotomy just made me laugh to myself and then write how I felt at the moment. But I still feel very strongly about my explanation.

lazer

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Does anyone know more information on glass surfing or when they scratch at the glass. I know it could be the refection or stress but I just want to see other people's opinions or observations. Thanks :)

OH NO!!!!! I am so sorry. At 56 years old, I truly felt that everything came together for me and I had wisdom. From all of the reading, and all of the listening all of the years, and most importantly, all of my experience, I thought I had accumulated enough knowledge, partnered with common sense/logic, that I truly felt (inside) that I knew I could give advice with assuredness! Not like why was the world created but how and why people act the way they do. How to understand what I felt were basic problems or answers to just about any basic conundrum. But good for me and I am sorry if I have misled or (heaven forbid) caused any ones Bearded Dragon's harm by saying:

" I can say this with great certainty."

The nerve of me to be so insolent! I just read that gravid (distended with or full of eggs. I guess fertilized or not.) female Bearded Dragons:
"may become very restless and will begin frantically scratching at their enclosure walls."

The source for this information is @ EverythingReptile.org and the name of the article is "Gravid Bearded Dragons and What to do for your girl."

Did you ever say anything with complete confidence, answer a question with complete confidence and later on you see something and realize that you were wrong? You know that feeling right? I just read this article while looking for something else and so, well you probably now what I said to myself, and immediately dashed for the computer.

Please. If anyone happens to see this and my possible incomplete information has caused any distress to you, please write me ok everyone?

Latest posts