• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Giving medication

Tonydabaloney

Hatchling Dragon
My question is how is the best way to get my dragon to open its mouth in order to give her her meds? I have been putting a drop of water on her nose and waiting for her to lick it, but I hate shoving the dropper in her mouth. Any easier way without traumatizing her???

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My question is how is the best way to get my dragon to open its mouth in order to give her her meds? I have been putting a drop of water on her nose and waiting for her to lick it, but I hate shoving the dropper in her mouth. Any easier way without traumatizing her???
It may take 2 of you- I have my husband help- look on you tube on giving meds to a bearded dragon - see if that helps

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I run the medication syringe over my dragons lips until he opens. It was harder the first couple time, but I think he's better now because the medication helps him, and he know it. The first couple times I had to hold him with one hand on my lap, and use my finger to gently get him to open his mouth. I have been bitten like that, but you have to be very fast.

DrBwell

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The Vet I went to showed me how to open my Beardies mouth. You take hold of the beard and pull down. It doesn’t hurt them but he/she won’t be happy when you do it.

Robbii

Bearded Dragon Egg
I agree with Barry. Pulling the beard down is the only way giving meds has worked for me without loosing half of the meds.

Scotjess

Hatchling Dragon
I don't know your dragon but this worked for me when Karl was still with us. I gently lifted his lips on the side and put the syringe in that way (slide the syringe from the side towards the front). At 1st, he tried to bite on it, so be careful of that, but Karl got used to this quickly and I could give him his meds no problem this way. I used to tell him "good boy, taking you meds like a pro".
Good luck with your girl. I hope she gets better from whatever is going on.

Scotjess

Hatchling Dragon
I don't know your dragon but this worked for me when Karl was still with us. I gently lifted his lips on the side and put the syringe in that way (slide the syringe from the side towards the front). At 1st, he tried to bite on it, so be careful of that, but Karl got used to this quickly and I could give him his meds no problem this way. I used to tell him "good boy, taking you meds like a pro".
Good luck with your girl. I hope she gets better from whatever is going on.
Sorry, just realised I said I lifted Karl's lips, when it's the opposite. I pulled on his lower lip on one side (didn't matter which), then put the syringe in, sliding it gently towards the front. He'd then lick and open enough for his meds. Good luck.

Latest posts