• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting new dragon on Wednesday ~ Mushu

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well we upgraded Mushu's tank from a 20 gallon long to his 40 gallon breeder. He looks so tiny in it. I need to get a T5Ho 10.0 bulb now and some decorations. I don't want to totally stress him out so a little at a time. I still need to decide what I want to put in there as far as decor branches etc. I want something that is easy to clean. I purchased these resin branches that is currently using and they are a pain to clean because of all the nooks and cranks when he poops pn them :/
FullSizeRender (4).jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We had a branch like that too with Dexter and there was a tiny hole somewhere in the bottom and the crickets used to climb up into it. We stopped using it in her tank and used it in the tub when we gave her baths, she liked to be able to climb out of the water if it got to scary for her.

I feel completely inadequate when putting decorations in their tanks. I don't want to put too much in but then I want to put something in. Then I find that I've decorated both tanks the same way!

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
We had a branch like that too with Dexter and there was a tiny hole somewhere in the bottom and the crickets used to climb up into it. We stopped using it in her tank and used it in the tub when we gave her baths, she liked to be able to climb out of the water if it got to scary for her.

I feel completely inadequate when putting decorations in their tanks. I don't want to put too much in but then I want to put something in. Then I find that I've decorated both tanks the same way!

That is a great idea. I was trying to figure out what to do with them. It does have a hole in it and I think the smaller crickets do hide in them.When I clean out the cage on the weekends I find those little buggers under the tiles. There is usually a dubia too that escaped the bowl riding on Mushu' s tail. I know what you mean by over / under decorating. I also want to buy adult size enclosure stuff so he don't out grow it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I used to take the resin branch out and put it on the floor and wonder why I had crickets running around on my carpet! That's how I discovered the holes. I highly recommend the adult size stuff. We bought Luci this small magnetic ledge that he loved sitting on. He stopped sitting on it for awhile and recently decided that he wants to be on it again but the problem is, it's TOO small now! He is hilarious trying to turn around on this little tiny ledge. So I ordered him a large one. It's coming next week.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
This one is Dexter's. She made it into her cave and spends more time under it than on it. I bought it at a reptile store here in the city. Luci's I ordered from Amazon, I should get it tomorrow. It said it was the same measurements so we will see.
20150226_095915.jpg 20150226_095950.jpg I told her she had to model it for you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What I like about it is that she isn't going to fall off of it and hurt herself and because she is long she will actually just climb down from it to the floor sometimes without stepping on her log.

Nichole1228

Juvenile Dragon
That is really neat!! I'll have to check into getting Hunter one!!

Is it normal for them to stay in the same spot a lot? The spot where he can get closest to the heat is where he hangs out and even sleeps.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Mine tend to stay in the same spot a lot. Dexter likes sit under that ledge draped over the log that is right under her heat. We call it her little pulpit, like she's holding court! Luci likes to sit on his hammock which is kinda between the heat and the UV.

Nichole1228

Juvenile Dragon
Is baby spinach ok for them to have? I've read so many different things, what are the best fruit and veggies for them?

tcb5366

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Is baby spinach ok for them to have? I've read so many different things, what are the best fruit and veggies for them?
From all that I've read, spinach requires calcium to metabolize. So in the body, spinach steals calcium from the dragon and causing MBD. Personally I've never fed it. Although tasty for people, bad for dragons.

If anybody else knows anything else, or this is wildly off, feel free to correct me.

Nichole1228

Juvenile Dragon
Ok Ty!! What do u recommend? I have to hand feed him I haven't been able to get him to eat out of a bowl, but he is still young!

tcb5366

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok Ty!! What do u recommend? I have to hand feed him I haven't been able to get him to eat out of a bowl, but he is still young!
Kale (not as tasty for people, makes great lizard food), dandelion greens and flowers, mustard greens, shredded carrots, bell peppers. There are many lists on the Internet, those are just the ones I commonly fed to my dragon for years and years.

If he's a baby baby, he probably won't be interested much in salad for a few months or so, typically youngsters eat a high protein (bugs) diet. Roaches, crickets, assorted worms, hoppers. Don't use feeders the are larger than the space between the eyes though.

Nichole1228

Juvenile Dragon
Ok ty so much!! I'm not sure how old he is. He eats crickets and I was able to get him to eat apples and cabbage by hand feeding him!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424980184.998408.jpg

tcb5366

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hard to judge scale, but probably about 3-4? Months if I had to guess. Beautiful little dragon.
I've heard too many different numbers on dusting to say anything definite, but my gut says add long as adequate uv is provided, you probably dunt have to worry about giving too much. Once a day, once every other day? Don't drive yourself too nuts haha seems like everybody has their own sense of what works best for them and their lizarss. That is to say, they definitely have ideal conditions, but in my experience, they're not fragile lizards either. Vary the frequency and see if there are any noticeable changes in behavior. Maybe he needs once a day, maybe every other, maybe only every third? But then other factors can affect this too. I had a female dragon that would lay eggs (never fertile) and would need extra calcium and such after to build back up so to speak.
Comes down to - pay attention and make the dragon happy, just not fat and happy lol

Latest posts