• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gecko missing when she hunts

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well my new gecko, Vixen has a really hard time hunting. She'll see a bug, strike, and miss about 95% of the time. She does manage to get some but I've started giving her mealies out of a dish. Is this normal for her to be missing like she does? She also closes one eye a lot.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine do that... takes like 4-6 strikes to get one roach.

Now, eye closing... interesting...
Is there a uvb being used near her ?
Janie

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Not really. She's above Yoyo's viv so She's not getting that light. She's close to a window but that's covered with black curtains.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When you say closes one eye... is this a constant thing, a hunting thing, or just now and then thing ? What else are you seeing ?
Janie

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
corrine said:
Not really. She's above Yoyo's viv so She's not getting that light. She's close to a window but that's covered with black curtains.

Does she only close it during hunting? Many reptiles do this to "hone in" on their target.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
She does it frequently but not constantly. It's mostly during the day when she does it. I'm guessing it's because she's sleepy?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could very well be... Corrine, I tend to feed at night time... around 8-9 pm...
Perhaps you might change up feeding times, and see if that makes a difference ?
Hope that helps out !
Janie

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
janie's got it. Gex don't see well in the daylight. It doesn't much matter that she's not getting the light from the cage below or that the curtians block the sunlight. Even the smallest amount of light inhibits her full vision.

For your own reference........At night, when all lights are off.............
Go in there with a flash light. Get her out and hold her so that you will be able to see her eyes. Turn the flash light on. Notice the change?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I do feed at night. The gex get fed when the dragons lights go out. At 8 pm the overhead lights in the house get shut off and the blacklights come on. That's when they get fed and are out and about. She's still a little skittish so I haven't been able to handle her. She's slowly(very slowly) getting used to me. I think she may just be keeping an eye on things while she's resting during the day.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hmmmmm.........
For a temp time, you could put her feeders in a bowl. She'll crawl in with them. That'll give her a smaller "grab" space.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I did buy a mealworm dish and some mealworms. She climbed right in there and really enjoyed them. I'll have to try the roaches in there and see if they can get out.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can even use a ceramic cat food dish and when i use small nymphs......they don't get out of it.
if one does.......it's ok. That will just keep her alert and prowling.

crystal9534

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
my leo misses alot of the time too. but that because she's cross eyed. she's my cross eyed baby :) she's gotten better since we've gotten bigger crickets though lol

Latest posts