• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gaping

tcruz

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys, I've been wondering... sometimes Reggie is basking and I notice that her mouth is gaping. When I see this, I check her temp and if it is a bit high, which on occasion it's been up to 113-116 (that's mostly when I've seen her do it) I move her heat lamp over a bit from her basking area until she cools down. Should I mist her at that time as well. What does that mean , and is that harmful? The temps in the tank are usually 101-110, but sometimes they climb that high. I'm not sure why. Does anyone know?

tcruz

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Ok, thank you.. I was kind of concerned. I don't want her to get to hot and not be able to tell me..(;

tcruz

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
But I've also read that it could be indicative of respiratory distress.

tcruz

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
And today her mouth seemed to be open wider than before. Sorry to be a pest, but can I just get a little more feed back? Here's a pic of her today. Her tongue was protruding also, does that matter any?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414447432795.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414447432795.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 39

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
And today her mouth seemed to be open wider than before. Sorry to be a pest, but can I just get a little more feed back? Here's a pic of her today. Her tongue was protruding also, does that matter any?

Gaping mouth is mostly a sign that she is regulating her body heat. I've also read that they can gape their mouth if they have an URI. If she doesn't have excess mucous in her mouth (doesn't look like that from the picture), or have mucous coming out of her nose or breathing difficulties, then I wouldn't worry about it.

tcruz

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks Patsy, I really appreciate the input. She seems fine otherwise. Temps are good now. And she's not lethargic or not pooping normally.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Then I would say she is just thermoregulating. They have strange poses when they do it. Mine seem to get embarrassed when I catch them and they close their mouths right away LOL!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Is that the Tight Spot light or the Neodymium one? The reason I ask is neodymium lights are not great to have. Its a really weird type of light that gets produced, and especially at the height you have it, its not great. The other reason I ask is that if its the tight spot, that may be why its gaping so much. They gape when the head has reached its peak temperature but the body has not yet gotten as warm. So the gaping cools the brain, while the body continues to get to the right temperature. So you want a nice wide beam of heat/light on that basking area so that the entire body is covered in that same high temperature. Otherwise what you end up with is a tight little hot spot that hits them in the head, and the body gets a much much lower temperature that takes a long time to heat up. So they will leave the basking area in order to keep their brain from overheating, and yet their body may not be quite up to the temperature they really desire yet.

Save yourself the money and go get a PAR 38 outdoor halogen flood light from your hardware store. They only cost around $5-$7 usually, so only about half as much as the reptile version. Since you have the 75 watt there, Id say buy the 75 watt and see if that gets you to the right temperature. It will give you a larger area for your reptile to bask at a consistent temperature and should allow for a more even body heating. Of course there will always likely be some gaping, but the regularity of what you are talking about makes me think it needs to be larger.

tcruz

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So I should ditch the Zoo Med double light fixture I have right now and go get a PAR 38 outdoor single flood light. And what type of 75watt bulb would I get then?

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No the fixture is fine, just replace the bulb you have with a PAR 38 outdoor flood light. That is the type of 75 watt bulb you should get, and it will screw right into the fixture you have already. There will be many different brands of PAR 38 outdoor flood light bulbs, and some will be energy saver versions, which are fine too. (they usually say something like "60 watt equivalent to 75 watt" ). Just make sure they are flood lights and not spot lights. Here is a link to what Im talking about, but there are many brands that make a similar light:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/93512/PAR-3511F.html

Latest posts