• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

From aggressive to chilled...

Chris5634

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys, my beardie Sam is 4months old now? The weird thing is that he is super aggressive when he's in his in closure. To a point that he sometimes bites me. As soon as he's out though, he's chilled and let's me stroke him and hold him.

So my question is this. Is this normal? Is a territorial thing? And how do I get Sam to calm down in his in closure?

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, sounds like he's territorial. First thing you should do is try to stay still when he bites you, easier said than done I know but necessary so as to not damage his teeth or jaw, he will release you! I always do the same thing with a new reptile here's what I do, open the door at the far end, away from where he is sitting, place my hand in slowly and just rest it on to the bottom of the viv, no sudden movements. Sam will come to investigate. Keep calm, talk to him and tell him your not gonna hurt him. If you've done this a few times and he hasn't been aggressive then maybe add some veg into the mix. Hold out a little bit of food and try get him to associate you as the hand that feeds him. Step it up a bit more when your both comfortable and try some live food. Sam will or should calm in time he's protecting his area and at the moment sees you as an intruder, in time this will change but be patient and talk to him. That's my method anyway. Maybe others will advise you further. Hope this helps :) good luck!

Chris5634

Bearded Dragon Egg
You right khaleesi, not the easiest thing in the world to do when they latch on :) thanks for the advise, I did it yesterday for a bit and he just looked at me, so I'll do it again today. I know it will take time, but all I want to do is love the little bugger:) I'll keep u posted, and thanks again for the help!

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
It's good that he didn't attack you, just be persistent with him he'll grow accustomed to it. Look forward to the updates, he already loves you back he's proved that by letting you take him out for cuddles, you just need to work on the trust issues with him. Enjoy your little one he won't be so small for long ;)

Fluffy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Act like you are blowing in the wind then slide your finger under his chest, and he should crawl on your arm. Good luck!

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
My beardie used to put on a show when I would try to take him out, he almost always puffed his beard (never black though) and he would pancake his body. He even hissed at me one day. He never has tried to bite me but despite him puffing at me I would back off a second and then talk to him and scoop him up. Persistence is the key. He doesn't fight me or run away from me anymore when I go to pick him up.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm soo lucky. Allie was already handtrained and all. She loves being out and cuddles up to me for warmth.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Spike has never bitten me or hissed at me. I don't take him out of his tank very often and when I do he loves it. I am very careful to let him know that I have my hand in the tank and going to pick him up. Somewhere along the line he learned 'good manners'. hahaha

Latest posts