• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Flowers

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
When I went to get dandelion leaves this morning I found a pack of edible flowers. Can I feed these to Dexter? The pack contains, Dianthus, marigolds, pansies, snapdragons, calendula and nasturtium.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Here's a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 195

Brian Adams

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, that is a good question! I am wanting to start adding edible flowers to my dragons' diets as well! Just don't know what is the best way to go about getting the correct flowers.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I know that they should be used like a treat. My girl who was a big greens eater has lost interest in eating anything that doesn't move. So I'm trying to introduce new things to her. Pansies and nasturtium are good. I've read conflicting things about calendula and marigold. I can't find anything about snapdragon, which is unfortunate because once I opened the pack it was mostly marigold and snapdragon.

I'd also like to know where to get the flowers. Can we just go to a garden center and buy a plant and feed them the flowers or do they need to be grown in a special soil? I have tree frogs too and to put plants in their tank you have to go through this whole plant cleaning process, and watering with dechlorinated water etc...

Brian Adams

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the tips. I am currently trying to find out which is the best way. I am going to look more on the forums here to see if I find some answers. I think it is better to plant them in a pot if grown yourself becasue putting them in soil could cause many problems becausse it would have to be tested so that the plants weren't exposed to things beardies can't eat. I am learning as a parent of dragons too. I saw that you said your girl doen't eat anything that doesn't move mine is just the opposite! He is so spoiled that even with crickets he is so lazy he wants you to hand feed him. Trying to break them of habits is hard. Definitely changing up the feeding routine with the baby beardie we have.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
I read on the Beautiful Dragons website if you buy them from a store you have to replant them and wait 6-12 weeks for the pesticides to grow out before feeding. It doesnt say what kind of soil to replant in tho. Im thinking your best bet is to start from scratch and buy seeds and plant them inside with organic soil .

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I read on the Beautiful Dragons website if you buy them from a store you have to replant them and wait 6-12 weeks for the pesticides to grow out before feeding. It doesnt say what kind of soil to replant in tho. Im thinking your best bet is to start from scratch and buy seeds and plant them inside with organic soil .

Thanks Mish! I would def. plant them in pots rather than in the ground outside. We live in a dog populated neighborhood, who knows what would be on those flowers! I have an Areogarden so I'm thinking I would maybe try planting them in there.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thanks for the tips. I am currently trying to find out which is the best way. I am going to look more on the forums here to see if I find some answers. I think it is better to plant them in a pot if grown yourself becasue putting them in soil could cause many problems becausse it would have to be tested so that the plants weren't exposed to things beardies can't eat. I am learning as a parent of dragons too. I saw that you said your girl doen't eat anything that doesn't move mine is just the opposite! He is so spoiled that even with crickets he is so lazy he wants you to hand feed him. Trying to break them of habits is hard. Definitely changing up the feeding routine with the baby beardie we have.

I said she won't eat anything that doesn't move, but that doesn't mean that SHE moves to get it! LOL! She is so spoiled she sits and waits for the crickets to walk in front of her so she can eat them, it's like a moving buffet line! When they stop she stares at me until I get them moving again or I tong feed her. Usually the same with greens, I have to wave them in front of her face then she will eat them, she won't eat out of a bowl.

Latest posts