• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Floating ribs

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Is it true that bearded dragons have "floating ribs"? Extending all the way back, ending right behind the rear legs on each side?

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
When I took Banyon to the vet she said the lumpy areas on either side, the ones I posted pics of, were actually floating ribs. The ribs extend rather far back and that this was nothing to worry about..but rather was normal. She palpated him thoroughly and felt nothing out of the ordinary she said. I had never heard of this before and was hoping for input.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I thought they might be ribs. I can feel them on Dexter, at first I thought it was impaction but it's on both sides. The first time I noticed them I almost had a heart attack! I've tried to find anatomy pictures but nothing really shows them.

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I know, right!! I googled bearded dragon xray and some of them look like they extend further back...but they don't stick out far enough to look like they'd cause bulges. Good to hear someone else's bd has "normal lumps" too lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I discovered them right around the time you posted your pictures. They are exactly how you described them, they feel like they have little balls in them. I also thought maybe she had eggs but then I read that those are more in the middle. She was eating and walking and pooping fine and they are identical in length so I told myself not to worry!

Latest posts