• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Time Owner

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,

I picked up my 13 week old beardie at the weekend. As a first time owner, I did lots of research and whilst some requirements are consistent must haves, lots of things are also opinions. I know we’ll learn what she likes/dislikes as we go, but I just want to make sure that I haven’t missed anything important.

I have a 4x2x2ft Vivarium and have installed an Arcadia T5 12% 39watt UVB inside with a reflector. I couldn’t see specifically where to install this (back, front, middle) so have placed it down in centre to get an even coverage everywhere - Is that ok?

I then have an Arcadia 100watt Halogen Basking Bulb with a dome fixed to the far side, which is connected via a dimming habitat set to 40c (which is 104 in Fahrenheit). Should I turn this down a little or lower the basking level as she seems to lay next to it rather than under it?

I’ve set up a substrate tray in the cool area with a hide, but she hasn’t shown much interest in it yet. I’ve not covered the whole floor in it as I am wary that she could end up eating it with her bugs. The rest of the vivarium is lined with paper towels which are easy to change when she goes to the loo. She pooped for the first time today and it was watery. I’ll keep an eye on it and get it checked if it’s not better in the next day or so, but she’s only been once and this is likely due to her still getting used to her move/new home???

I’ve been dropping water on her nose a few times times a day and she is drinking it, but should there be a limit?

She won’t eat any veg. I’ve just ordered a ton of Dubias as these are her favourite so will put them in a big container to gut load, which I guess will have to do for now, but I’ll keep serving it up and hope she starts to eat it. As she grows and the Protein to Veg ratio changes, will an instinct to eat veg develop? She seems to know everything else she needs to do which is so fascinating to see.

Is it ok to just feed Dubias daily or should there be a variety?

She takes about an hour or so to get moving when the lights come on at 8am and instantly falls asleep where she is when they go off at 8pm. It is so cute how she just does that and doesn’t move an inch all night (I wish my mini human would)

She’s not ready to be held yet, but is happily being hand fed/watered. She lets us stroke her back and has licked my daughters hand when she places it in front of her so I think we’re making good progress.

Attachments

• 85BEDF2D-66DD-40B7-ADEC-F1D6C7CA1200.jpeg
    85BEDF2D-66DD-40B7-ADEC-F1D6C7CA1200.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • FB6A661B-941F-4CCD-8896-CBC619F3729E.jpeg
    FB6A661B-941F-4CCD-8896-CBC619F3729E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
  • 7A68C72C-6E27-40FF-9145-EF9956E2712B.jpeg
    7A68C72C-6E27-40FF-9145-EF9956E2712B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 18
  • BBBA98ED-7065-4CE5-BD2C-CD0918FB9A14.jpeg
    BBBA98ED-7065-4CE5-BD2C-CD0918FB9A14.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi,

I picked up my 13 week old beardie at the weekend. As a first time owner, I did lots of research and whilst some requirements are consistent must haves, lots of things are also opinions. I know we’ll learn what she likes/dislikes as we go, but I just want to make sure that I haven’t missed anything important.

I have a 4x2x2ft Vivarium and have installed an Arcadia T5 12% 39watt UVB inside with a reflector. I couldn’t see specifically where to install this (back, front, middle) so have placed it down in centre to get an even coverage everywhere - Is that ok?

I then have an Arcadia 100watt Halogen Basking Bulb with a dome fixed to the far side, which is connected via a dimming habitat set to 40c (which is 104 in Fahrenheit). Should I turn this down a little or lower the basking level as she seems to lay next to it rather than under it?

I’ve set up a substrate tray in the cool area with a hide, but she hasn’t shown much interest in it yet. I’ve not covered the whole floor in it as I am wary that she could end up eating it with her bugs. The rest of the vivarium is lined with paper towels which are easy to change when she goes to the loo. She pooped for the first time today and it was watery. I’ll keep an eye on it and get it checked if it’s not better in the next day or so, but she’s only been once and this is likely due to her still getting used to her move/new home???

I’ve been dropping water on her nose a few times times a day and she is drinking it, but should there be a limit?

She won’t eat any veg. I’ve just ordered a ton of Dubias as these are her favourite so will put them in a big container to gut load, which I guess will have to do for now, but I’ll keep serving it up and hope she starts to eat it. As she grows and the Protein to Veg ratio changes, will an instinct to eat veg develop? She seems to know everything else she needs to do which is so fascinating to see.

Is it ok to just feed Dubias daily or should there be a variety?

She takes about an hour or so to get moving when the lights come on at 8am and instantly falls asleep where she is when they go off at 8pm. It is so cute how she just does that and doesn’t move an inch all night (I wish my mini human would)

She’s not ready to be held yet, but is happily being hand fed/watered. She lets us stroke her back and has licked my daughters hand when she places it in front of her so I think we’re making good progress.
Ok nice tank set up but I am wondering the distance of the basking light to her platform - it should not be closer than 6" I see she is off to the side telling me its too hot directly under it - please get 2 digital probe thermometers place under that basking bulb and get your temp- 105-110 F-right now your getting ambient temps --- I see no decor piece directly under your UVB please get one have the distance 12-15 inches -- I would get a mat that fits your 120 gallon tank for substrate nothing w/ grooves in it for easier cleaning something that looks like this https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/zen-mat-black-46-x-22-textured-pvc-mat
or you can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- cut to the size of your tank - found at your local home improvement center-
Please start hand taming her NOW- start by handfeeding her w/ some BSFL she looks like she could eat large larvae - these are great for babies - you need a digital probe hygrometer place the probe on the back center wall of the tank Exo Terra makes them - the dragon may or may not use the substrate box you have in there now - you dont want any loose substrate in the whole tank - you are right you dont want the little one eating anything loose - it will cause impaction - make sure if you leave the box in there hes not eating that substrate - babies lick everything - it may be best to take it out for now -- No limit on water they will stop when they have enough--- please rinse the greens / salads before serving -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and is a great staple feeder- use the BSFL as lures to the salad bowl use as many as you want and feed first thing in the morning before the main staple feeder -- are you dusting the insects w/ calcium D3 and a vitamin? you may want to feed him some by hand so he gets used to your hand in the tank and your smell - place a piece of cloth or fleece blanket in his hide so he gets used to you - I would hold him in the tank so he gets used to being held--- dragons jump at no certain time and they can get hurt badly if they hit the floor so in the tank for now - I cant tell if hes got stress marks those will fade as he gets used to his surroundings and tank - the licking is normal that is how they identify you - they still do that when they get older

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I did try to look for a Zen Mat, but they were out of stock when I was buying the set up so I went with paper towels - I will try to source one again.

The basking light was just under 6” so I have changed the tank around a bit and put a new basking spot in which is now 9” away from the bulb.

I did measure the hammock from the UV and it was 12”, but on a tilt so I’ve straightened that up too.

I am dusting the feeders and using a multivitamin

Will put something scented in her hide.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3633.jpeg
    IMG_3633.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3627.jpeg
    IMG_3627.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did try to look for a Zen Mat, but they were out of stock when I was buying the set up so I went with paper towels - I will try to source one again.

The basking light was just under 6” so I have changed the tank around a bit and put a new basking spot in which is now 9” away from the bulb.

I did measure the hammock from the UV and it was 12”, but on a tilt so I’ve straightened that up too.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

I would go to Zens website and pre order-

3llie

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would go to Zens website and pre order-
I can’t pre-order from them as I am in the UK, however I have an alert set up for somewhere over here that sells them.

Thanks again for the advice, I’m sure I’ll be back with some other questions in the future

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can’t pre-order from them as I am in the UK, however I have an alert set up for somewhere over here that sells them.

Thanks again for the advice, I’m sure I’ll be back with some other questions in the future
Oops

Latest posts