• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time bearded parent!

travis.dearman

Bearded Dragon Egg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412141745.508752.jpg
I got this beautiful baby 9-25-2014. It ate good the first two days but since has not been interested in anything at all I did get it to take some water drop by drop from my finger... Don't want it to dehydrate.. Temp is perfect in the enclosure I have uvb, heat and uva... It seems to have no interest in greens at all.. I'm worried because only having it a few days im already attached to the lil thing please if any one can help it would be great thanks!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412142035.465220.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412142048.768897.jpg

Monkeys563

Hatchling Dragon
Greens are tricky. My baby never ate greens but as he got older he grew to enjoy them. Now and then he goes back to hating them. And my friends dragon hates greens only eats them if he absolutely has to. It's not that big of a deal just keep showing them to him he will probably eat them eventually.
Is he not wanting to eat crickets either? Maybe try hand feeding and make sure your crickets are the right size.
He's cute but little is right. Mine has always been a healthy eater as far as crickets go so all I know to tell you is make sure he didn't swallow substrate, ESP that little he should only be on paper towels or carpet or tile anyway. And make sure he has a good temperature gradient.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's common for babies to do this. He was fine the first few days but now it's settling in that this is his new home and he's got a little bit of "moving sickness". Try not to handle him too much for right now and let him get used to his new home and you for a bit. Keep offering crickets (make sure they are the appropriate size) and greens. He probably won't eat many greens right now but being a little guy, he needs more protein at this point. He will eventually come around.

Welcome to the forum!

travis.dearman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks guys I really appreciate it I did get it to eat two crickets this am on its own and the crickets im offering are what I consider small they are just a larger pinhead size so about the size my pinky nail.. And the only substrate I use is paper towel it seems to be the safest and cleanest it's what I use for my leopard geckos. But thanks so much for your time and I'll keep you all updated on how it goes

vikki.price.712

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my baby beardie for 10 days now. He stopped eating after 2 days. I just gave him some pureed fruit on the end of his snout to lick, kept offering him veg and crickets. After 3 days of being on hunger strike he's deffo got his appetite back, eating his greens too :-D
Stick with it and I'm sure he'll be ok in a few days.

TheNotSoFriendlyCanadian

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 10434I got this beautiful baby 9-25-2014. It ate good the first two days but since has not been interested in anything at all I did get it to take some water drop by drop from my finger... Don't want it to dehydrate.. Temp is perfect in the enclosure I have uvb, heat and uva... It seems to have no interest in greens at all.. I'm worried because only having it a few days im already attached to the lil thing please if any one can help it would be great thanks!!View attachment 10435View attachment 10436
I do not know why the little guy isn't interested in food, but about the greens, the breeder/former owner might have not introduced it to greens so it is not interested in them and might take some time until it will eat them. I hope everything goes well, and good luck:)

travis.dearman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nessy did eat 5 small crickets today so she's over her hunger strike and I did notice she's shedding a bit on her legs could that have something to do with the not eating?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Nessy did eat 5 small crickets today so she's over her hunger strike and I did notice she's shedding a bit on her legs could that have something to do with the not eating?

Possibly. Some get fussy and not want to eat when they are shedding.

travis.dearman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all for your positive feed back and advice im happy to say watching her lil butt chase crickets around her enclosure today made me a happy parent she's eating better and I even see nibbles taken off her greens! I seriously had no idea how entertaining these lil guys are
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412442240.200179.jpg
also I haven even noticed her colors are more vibrant! Love this baby to pieces!

SideShowMom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Beautiful baby! Glad to hear she's eating now, those food strikes are hard to wait out! I have a new Crested Gecko doing that, thankfully, the baby dragon isn't!

travis.dearman

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks everyone for the support and advice im proud to say that today my baby beadie took 6 little crickets from my fingers seems as she is starting to trust me we even ran up to my hand when I started to feed her such a great moment as a new beardie parent!!

Latest posts