• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Females and eggs.

Renae_nae

Hatchling Dragon
I'm not planning on breeding. But after having a bird get an egg caught (and we didn't think she was a female) I'm wondering about Sahara laying unfertilized eggs.

How can you tell they have eggs? What needs to be done?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I'm not planning on breeding. But after having a bird get an egg caught (and we didn't think she was a female) I'm wondering about Sahara laying unfertilized eggs.

How can you tell they have eggs? What needs to be done?
They start scratching at their cage relentlessly, and when you feel their bellies you can feel some hard balls in there. (If they're not too fat, like cass. Sometimes when she's prego I can't tell until she starts scratching). You need to provide a lay box for them, or use a 10 gal screen top. On my recent post with Cleopatra laying, I included pics of her lay box I used. You can use washed play sand, perilite, organic soil, etc... for them to lay in, just make sure it is damp enough that when they're tunneling it doesn't cave in on them.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Quite often you cannot feel or see infertile eggs. many times they are not full, but squishy. In this case you have to otherwise read your dragon as Aleena said.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Quite often you cannot feel or see infertile eggs. many times they are not full, but squishy. In this case you have to otherwise read your dragon as Aleena said.
Learn new stuff all the time :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
These are some of Dinah's eggs from quite a while ago, she usually dumps an infertile clutch yearly, one year 3 times. Sandy, the one that just laid today, 1st time & she's 6 or 7 years old, hers were plump. Dinah's were always like this. 33 eggs

DinahMoreEggs13-07-11014.jpg

Renae_nae

Hatchling Dragon
wow...It always amazes me how these little girls can have so many eggs. Thanks for the info...its something I'll definitely watch for.

Latest posts