• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Bearded Dragon - Constipation

Angel Kross

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, my bearded dragon is only 1 year. She has been having some problems emptying out her bowel for sometime now. I took her to see a vet. They assisted her in emptying herself out. They stated she does have eggs inside of her. In which case could be slowing her up quite a bit. So I've been trying to soak her and even massaging her stomach. Though I'm afraid of irritating her eggs that are within her. So I've been trying to avoid massaging her too much and mostly been soaking her. The vet suggested getting her spayed but I won't be doing that. As it is a huge No-No to do...UNLESS they have an underlying medical issue. Which she doesn't have any. So if possible are there any solutions on how I could help give her some relief with this? Any help would be much appreciated. The photos of both her and her enclosure are below.

Attachments

• 17013158802157470021783281583887.jpg
    17013158802157470021783281583887.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 17013159193417782234536321888223.jpg
    17013159193417782234536321888223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, my bearded dragon is only 1 year. She has been having some problems emptying out her bowel for sometime now. I took her to see a vet. They assisted her in emptying herself out. They stated she does have eggs inside of her. In which case could be slowing her up quite a bit. So I've been trying to soak her and even massaging her stomach. Though I'm afraid of irritating her eggs that are within her. So I've been trying to avoid massaging her too much and mostly been soaking her. The vet suggested getting her spayed but I won't be doing that. As it is a huge No-No to do...UNLESS they have an underlying medical issue. Which she doesn't have any. So if possible are there any solutions on how I could help give her some relief with this? Any help would be much appreciated. The photos of both her and her enclosure are below.
I am going to have another person answer and help you on this issue---- please NO MORE ENEMAS FROM THE VET------- we can help w/ getting her to go to the bathroom ----- I will get back w/ you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am going to have another person answer and help you on this issue---- please NO MORE ENEMAS FROM THE VET------- we can help w/ getting her to go to the bathroom ----- I will get back w/ you
Here is the response I got
Hi there, she's a pretty bright yellow girl ! How long did she not go poo so that the vet thought to " help." If they did an enema, never allow that again. An enema can and does kill beardies at times, some vets just are too eager to rush things that can 99% of the time come out with natural laxatives like canned pumpkin, baby food squash/sweet potato/green bean , unsweetened applesauce along with a few drops of olive oil or raw honey. Then a warmer than usual 5 minute soak.
As for your cage, that's not really a good way to house a reptile. Did you say there are 2 in there ? You can't keep the heat gradient from 100 in the basking spot to 90 close by , then 80 at the coolest point. The wire frame can also catch + tear out their nails.
A vet that right off wants to spay may be out for the $$, a spay should only be done if the dragon is egg bound.....lethargic, black beard, looking swollen, etc.
You need to set up a laybox for her. BTW, how did you determine that she is carrying eggs ?

Latest posts