• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding question...

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all, I am having some trouble just figuring out how to fed my baby beardie, Max. I started off trying the separate container thing, and the first time he seemed okay with it, but after that he would start freaking out when I put him in there. So then I tried just letting the crix go in his viv but with all the hiding places they all soon disappear, and don't even get me started on trying to remove them when he won't or can't eat them. I know this is all stressing him out, and it's really stressing me out too. I hate to admit to it, but I am on the verge of taking him back to the PS, just because I don't know if I can keep him alive.

His feeding container is a deep clear Sterlite kind of thing, should I look into a solid one? Also, I have been setting it in his viv to try and keep the stress down, so he can see his home while he eats. Is that a bad idea?

I tell you, this is way different than the adult beardie I used to have. He was easy, Max is on a whole other level. Please help, I don't want to take him back because I suck.

Thanks!

This is the container I was/am using to feed Max, obviously that wasn't Max in there at the time :p
image.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Remove the clutter in the enclosure. As you have found, it gives way to many hiding places for feeders. The K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) method is generally the best, dress it up later, once it's older if you feel it necessary. I don't myself, nor do I recommend feeding outside of the enclosure for youngsters starting out, makes a stressful instance multiple times a day. I am a believer of feeding in the enclosure where it is comfy, if possible, there are exceptions. BDs do not need or really want elaborate setups, the majority of the 'Fluff" is for our 'eye candy' & enjoyment, not necessarily in the best interest of the BD.

They don't really need much more than a basking spot, feeding dish, possibly a rock to climb on & they are quite comfy.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks Germ!

Only thing in there is a hide, a basking rock, water dish, salad dish and a stick to climb on. Is that too much stuff? Should it ditch the hide? He basks on that as well as the rock. I'd kinda rather lose the rock than the hide, but the crix hide under both anyway.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Post a Pic if you can, it doesn't sound like you have too much extra other than the water dish may not be necessary. I generally do not provide a hide for my youngsters, part of the reason is the feeder issue, and they generally rarely use it.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Here is a pic. You can see Max on his hide. Far as I can tell he never actually goes in there, but he likes to climb on it and bask.

image.jpg

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Just me but I would for sure take the hide out and as stated no water dish. That water dish looks like it has enough water for your baby to drown...please take it out. What are you using for feeders? Crickets are super fast for some lazy beardies , can you get Dubia Roaches? I know people sell them on Ebay.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Ok just looked again and is that hide one of those heat rocks? Beardies cannot have a heat rock because it could burn them. For sure take it out. What are your temps over the basking area and how are you monitoring your temps?

My guess is that your BD isn't staying warm enough and that could be why he isn't eating very well. If they are not warm enough they cannot digest their food properly which could make him very sick.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
The hide isn't a heat rock, I don't use those. The temp under the heat lamp is currently 101 f. I have three thermometers, one is a digital probe that sits just behind the hide, the other is under the heat lamp, and the third is on the cool side.

He also has a under tank heater, because it does get rather cool at night this time of year, and that is where he sleeps.

So no water dish then? I can use the smaller dish for water. In fact until yesterday it was his water dish.

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, I lost the big water bowl, and the hide. I was thinking about moving him to a ten gallon tank until he gets bigger. Do you guys think that would be better than the 40? It just looks so sparse in there. Just a rocks, and his small water dish. I mean I am not worried about how it looks to me, but if I were him I think I'd be pretty insecure in there.

Pat B

Super Moderator
No....leave him where he is in the 40 gal tank. I can't tell for sure but is your basking spot/UVB within 8" to 10" of where your beardies basks. I can't tell what you have on top of your tank....looks like tin foil. If your UVB is on top of the screen then it would be better to use a hot glue gun and put it inside the tank. Good luck and keep us all posted on how he is doing! :D He is cute little bugger!

spazz

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, I'll leave him in the 40. The lamps are on top of the screen. The fixtures are not of a kind that could be mounted in the tank. I do have a peice of wood that comes up to within 6 inches of the screen, not directly under the lamp at that height, and he likes to hang out on that, so I put it back in.

Latest posts