• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Lintilla...

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
I have a dilemma here. Since I got Lintilla a little over a month ago, she has not gained so much as a gram. Still at 4 grams. She's not dehydrated and she's not looking bony. She's also not eating much at all. She is still quite active.

Near as I can figure, she picks at any roaches in her feeding dish once in a while. She seems more eager to eat if she gets to chase them, but that's where the problems begin. First, she flat refuses to eat anything in a feeding bin. She wants out, NOW, and will not focus on anything other than that goal.

Ok, so feed her in her enclosure. Roaches disappear under her (paper towel or newspaper) substrate before she can realize that they're there. Pull the substrate? She wants out, NOW, and will not focus on anything other than that goal. It becomes just another feeding bin that she refuses to eat in without substrate and her furniture.

Clear bin inside her enclosure? Nope.

Any ideas?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First of all I would recommend taking her to a vet to rule out worms/paracytes that could be a lack of weight gain..As she should really be growing mine is about 5 months old and Friday she weighed 63 grams and today she weighs 73 grams....
I have tried feeding my Izzy in a feeding bin and like yours wants out nothing else... What I've done is after she nibbles on her salad I have a clear low profile flat glass dish I put her roaches (her most favorite bug) in there with calcium dust and show it to her then once she see's them and shows interest in them I set the entire dish in her enclosure.. as that's where she is most interested in being. She devours them!! so when hungry enough she'll eat them... every once and awhile a roach will crawl up and out on her and I find them under her reptile mat when I clean her tank.. I did a trial of different types of bowls dishes until I found what worked and she did have a learning curve in that just because it's glass you still have to go up and over the edge :) can't eat them thru the glass even though she still tries to every once and a while..
hope that helps some

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh and also try different types of bugs.. roaches, butterworms, waxworms, silkworms, crickets (just be careful as they are most active at night and can bite a sleeping dragon)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with what Hydrydr31 said. I would say lots of beardies get stressed when taken out of their tank and put in something else to eat. If she isn't gaining any weight she should be checked for parasites. Even though she seems healthy she could have something going on.

Latest posts