• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding female Dragons pinkies?

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I saw someone on youtube feeding female Dragons pinkie mice? Is this something that you have to do or is there another way to feed them whatever they get out of the pinkies? I am assuming protein?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pinkies are a non essential treat, if they will even take to them F/T. They serve the purpose to help a recently gravid female or a malnourished rescue to get their weight back up. Pinkies can be an occasional treat if you want to go that route, once or twice a month. They are a fatty feeder. Did I mention unnecessary?:)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
If you search YouTube it won't take but a few clicks to find folks feeding all sorts of questionable things to their dragons. I do admit that I have naively fed pinkies to Mungi on a couple of occasions in the past when he was off food in an attempt to stimulate his appetite. Truthfully though I don't believe he actually cared for them as he would only reluctantly eat them at best.
The whole pinkie/no pinkie thing has been a controversial subject for a while. Besides the high fat content you are basically feeding animal protein to a creature that is an insect protein eater and whose digestive system is primarily geared and designed to process insect and veggie material.
It is an unnecessary stress on the creature's system as they can get all of the proper nutrition they require from a proper diet feeding them crickets or better yet roaches as well as other commonly available live insect feeders that are well hydrated and gut-loaded beforehand.
Personally, I believe that a lot of what you see on YouTube with folks feeding their dragons pinkies and such is more their satisfying some morbid curiosity than being concerned with getting their dragon proper nutrition.
Stick with crickets, Dubia or Discoid roaches, locusts etc and a good staple green mix; in otherword solid proven safe nutrition and leave the "exotic diet" stuff to the YouTubers who have nothing better to do than to see what weird things they can get their dragon to eat....Your dragon will be much healthier and happier for it in the long run for sure:)
Enjoy!

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you Mungi, I did not think it was a correct way to feed them. I about fell out my chair when I saw someone feeding a male Dragon about 6 pinkies at one feeding...my first thought was I wonder if he died shortly after because he looked so bloated :( No worries I do not keep any critters that eat Mammals. No offence to snake lovers but it is just not my thing and I know all living things have to eat :)

Latest posts