• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeders

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, so I decided to get Gojira off the crickets. For one, they smell really bad and are a pain to keep. And two, he eats them like a horse even though they don't really have any nutrition for him unless gutloaded. I searched around and found Phoenix worms. They have an absurdly high amount of calcium in them, so much in fact they don't need to be dusted. They are somewhere along the lines of 5300ppm calcium versus the 800ppm for crickets. They don't smell, are easy to keep. I just got them in the mail today, and man, does he LOVE these things. He ate about 10 crickets this morning, as well as his salad in between. I took him out for feeding and he chowed down on these things, he ate about 15-20 of them. Guess they taste good? They are affordably priced, ship quickly, and have that elusive calcium : phosphorous ratio everyone searches for. I would highly suggest trying these little guys. You can get a small "starter cup" with about 100 of them shipped for like $11, but seeing as he just ate 15-20 of them in one feeding, I'm off to order some more!

http://www.phoenixworm.com/servlet/StoreFront

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just watch his poop. I fed Dexter phoenix worms once when she was smaller and she loved them and would eat a ton of them and they would come out looking the same as they did going in.

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Ok. Gojira just had a nice poop a few hours later and it looks similar, but larger, than his normal poops. Is it normal for it to be a dark to light grey color? Usually it's really dark, almost black, but there's a part of it that is a lighter shade of the normal dark grey, but it definitely doesn't look like the phoenix worms lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I love talking s*&@#, LOL! I went to the zoo once and they had a lady with a poop display and my boyfriend had to walk away from me because I wouldn't stop talking to her!

Yes dark to light gray to light brown is normal. It kinda takes on the color of what you feed him. It should be formed though, sorry to be gross but it reminds me of little sausages in casings!

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
Yep! That's exactly what his looks like. And I don't think I'll be having sausages or hotdogs for while now...:eek:

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
are they good for hatchlings ? i really want to get away from crix and i cant do roaches lol plus their prices are good ! do they have a good life span or do they die overnight like crix ? -_-

NickG1987

Hatchling Dragon
I got the medium sized for Gojira and he's about 6-7" long, and about half of them in the cup look kinda small. Probably why he eats so many of them lol. They do have small sized which would probably, most likely, be about the right size for them. They have a good calcium to phosphorous ratio and have the proteins and lauric acid that is also good for them. So, I would say yes, they will probably work very well for hatchlings; but I am NOT an expert. I would think Patsy would be the person to ask. All I know, is that Gojira loves them more than anything. He already recognizes the container after two feedings. And according to some of the sources I have read about them, they are one of the few insects that can be fed as a stand alone staple, as in no calcium dusting. I would double check the info for accuracy, I'm just going off of internet sources here, but they all say pretty much the same thing. They do have a sample cup of around 100 for $5.95, its $11 something with shipping. I'd order some and try them out. As for Gojira, I don't think he'll ever look at crickets the same way again, and hopefully will never have to. I hate crickets lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Unfortunately I don't know :( I personally always fed crickets until they got to 10+ inches and I've never had any experience with hatchlings. I've always had okay experiences with my crickets. I treat them like my pets and keep them in a well ventilated tank with plenty of food and I clean the tank on a regular basis. As far as phoenix worms go, I did have a bad experience with them where Dexter just pooped them right out but not sure if that was a problem with the worms themselves or Dexter. I would think though, as with anything, as long as the dragon is well hydrated then it shouldn't pose a problem but again I don't know for sure.

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
ok, maybe i will order some small o.es to see how big they are and if theyre too big for the hatchlings ill just feed them to hiccup and toothless lol theyre bigger :) meatlug is still being syringe fed after his encounter with mufasa so maybe i can get him to eat those since he cant exactly chase the crix :'(

Jet76

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They are fairly easy to raise and inexpensive to feed. I have two bins setup. 25 dragons, 1 month old to two years old. They all eat them. Never seen them come out whole. My adult dragons will eat about 40 at one sitting, twice daily if I let them.

pitgrl18

Hatchling Dragon
someone also told me baby superworms (not meal worms) are also very good but i cant seem to find a place to order them..

Latest posts