• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eyes Shut When Shedding

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
My BD is shedding the whole of her underbelly, 50% of her back and the top of her head including around her eyes. Is it unusual for her to be closing her eyes a lot because of this? she hasn't been over-exposed to UVB so i'm sure its not PKC?

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I wouldn't think it's too unusual for them to close their eyes a lot during this time, especially when it's around their eyes. Yaddle and Midna did it sometimes. It seems like an annoying time for them to go through shedding, lol. Poor beardies!

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I wouldn't think it's too unusual for them to close their eyes a lot during this time, especially when it's around their eyes. Yaddle and Midna did it sometimes. It seems like an annoying time for them to go through shedding, lol. Poor beardies!

she is so annoyed! poor little girl constantly looks grumpy at the moment, i imagine shedding must feel really irritating

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alley's shedding on his belly, legs, beard, and possibly tail. This sheds slower than the last one he had. He basically shed his skin all at once and he looked like a brand new bearded dragon that emerged from his 'shell'. He shed around his eyes and he let me gently rub his eyes, ridges, and underneath the eye. I know that's got to be annoying having to be itchy and needing something to use as a scratchboard. :) I don't mind this at all. Anything to help my little boy, er big boy out. :)

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
No pics i'm afraid :eek: i didn't think to document it, i was too busy with misting :p Noella: Wil has her head and around her eyes to go now! but its only just started to show so i don't think it will come off any time soon

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alley's having a tough slow shed. Last time, he shed all his body all at once. Each shed's different from the last. I've been trying to help his beard shed by scratching it with a fingernail, finger, or thumb.

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
Alley's having a tough slow shed. Last time, he shed all his body all at once. Each shed's different from the last. I've been trying to help his beard shed by scratching it with a fingernail, finger, or thumb.
noella, u shud refrain from scratching at ur beardie's shedding skin w/nething! it's a possibility that u cud hurt ur beardie's skin, by trying 2 help pick off/at the shedding skin. just be sure ur beardie has something 2 rub the shed off in the enclosure, bathe more than regularly & even mist ur beardie a lil if u choose....& ur beardie will be able 2 handle the rest of the ornrey beardie process, of shedding!! lol. my poor boy's last shed took him longer than usual. & he wuz extra grumpy!!!!

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Em, how is the shed coming along??

Its all over except the top of her head and around her eyes and nostrils :) now she's shed 95% she's acting really strange, she keeps glass dancing and wandering around her viv digging. She hatched between October and November 2010, could she be ready to lay eggs? she feels funny to hold, she used to be firm when sitting in my hand but now she feels really flexible and floppy :L i hope you know what i mean and i don't sound like a weirdo!

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
*also she is constantly running away when i try to hold her, normally she would sit still. She keeps pooping every day (very small, modest amounts) but she went through a faze of going every week (large amount all at once) i think maybe its because i kept bathing and soaking her to help her shed, i hope there is no underlying health problem, the poo looks healthy

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Its all over except the top of her head and around her eyes and nostrils :) now she's shed 95% she's acting really strange, she keeps glass dancing and wandering around her viv digging. She hatched between October and November 2010, could she be ready to lay eggs? she feels funny to hold, she used to be firm when sitting in my hand but now she feels really flexible and floppy :L i hope you know what i mean and i don't sound like a weirdo!
They dig quite a bit when in shed. It is quite irritating and they think digging will help get it off? LOL I don't know why, but mine always tear up their newspaper and I get concerned and put them in a lay box and they sit there staring at me like I'm crazy.

Edit: They only need about one extra bath/week to help with shedding. Don't overdo it too much, you'll irritate her. They don't like being held during this time at all. Some bite when they're shedding.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
They dig quite a bit when in shed. It is quite irritating and they think digging will help get it off? LOL I don't know why, but mine always tear up their newspaper and I get concerned and put them in a lay box and they sit there staring at me like I'm crazy.

Edit: They only need about one extra bath/week to help with shedding. Don't overdo it too much, you'll irritate her. They don't like being held during this time at all. Some bite when they're shedding.
thanks Aleena that helps a lot :)

Latest posts