• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eyes pulsating

NurseRatchet

Hatchling Dragon
Energetic, active, juvenile beardie with good appetite, good coordination, and pulsing eyes. I've googled it, asked a breeder, talked to owners... no one's seen it or heard of it. Is this normal?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Energetic, active, juvenile beardie with good appetite, good coordination, and pulsing eyes. I've googled it, asked a breeder, talked to owners... no one's seen it or heard of it. Is this normal?
I have not heard of this ----- your lighting in the tank is a huge factor for overall health including the eyes -- please go over the basking bulb your using brand of bulb NO colored bulbs yellowish off white or daytime bulbs please ---- UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture? Please post a video of the eyes on you tube post the link please

NurseRatchet

Hatchling Dragon
I have not heard of this ----- your lighting in the tank is a huge factor for overall health including the eyes -- please go over the basking bulb your using brand of bulb NO colored bulbs yellowish off white or daytime bulbs please ---- UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture? Please post a video of the eyes on you tube post the link please
Zilla slimline T8 dessert hood, 10.0 bulb.
50watt flukers basking bulb. Hot spot sits at about 107 at highest basking point. Cool side 85. 12 hour auto on/off light cycle. Humidity 34-45 depending on time of day.

NurseRatchet

Hatchling Dragon
Eats like a champ. Staple greens of organic washed endive and escarole, but mostly apropriately sized dubia gut loaded with dubia chow from dubia.com and carrots. Occassional banded cricket.
If the lights no good, my arcadia fixture just came two days ago, T5 10.0 and switching to 100 watt basking for new tank. But can't use it yet. Still setting up tank. It'll take another 2-3 days.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Zilla slimline T8 dessert hood, 10.0 bulb.
50watt flukers basking bulb. Hot spot sits at about 107 at highest basking point. Cool side 85. 12 hour auto on/off light cycle. Humidity 34-45 depending on time of day.
Humidity is good if it's w/ a digital probe hygrometer analogs are inaccurate - the T 8 needs to be unobstructed w/ the bulb exposed- please change the bulb out to a reptisun 10.0 T better quality bulb-- place directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- it sounds good w/ your lighting - please record on YouTube of the eyes and post link - we need to have the vet tech on here take a look-- her name is Tracie she can give her input

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had the one person get back w/ me she has said this
I'm no sure, I know they sometimes do that with their throat. It's a first for me to see that but not to say that other dragons, including mine, have never done it but might when we are just not looking. See what Tracie has to say.

NurseRatchet

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for checking on it. It's both eyes simultaneously, I just couldn't get a straight on video, and the pulsing coincides with his pulse. Otherwise absolutely normal, zero signs of distressed or discomfort. My mind jumped to aneurysms or hypertension or vascular diseases, but couldn't find anyone whose experienced this. Maybe he's just quirky?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for checking on it. It's both eyes simultaneously, I just couldn't get a straight on video, and the pulsing coincides with his pulse. Otherwise absolutely normal, zero signs of distressed or discomfort. My mind jumped to aneurysms or hypertension or vascular diseases, but couldn't find anyone whose experienced this. Maybe he's just quirky?
Idk - let's see if Tracie has seen this before-

NurseRatchet

Hatchling Dragon
And it's constant, even while asleep

NurseRatchet

Hatchling Dragon
Thats what my gut says.This makes me sad. Hopefully won't affect quality of life. I spent months nursing some babies back to health recently. All but one did terrific. The last one, Norbert, after months of care finally gave out. He was so affectionate and so loved. My heart broke.
This one I watched for two months at a shop where I volunteer. The siblings grew and got adopted out, but this one, though active, just wasn't growing like the others. He was given to me for free since I'm a sucker for an underdog.
I will love him regardless and give him the best I can.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is very odd. I do have to think it is synonymous with the heart beat. I have personally never
seen that before. It isn't a twitching then, since you mentioned it happens when he sleeps. How
long has this been going on, as long as you have had him?
It is possible that it could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency perhaps. You are also changing his
UVB light to an Arcadia tube bulb, correct?
It is a good sign though, that he eats well, is active & isn't showing a black beard or stress right now.

Tracie

NurseRatchet

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is very odd. I do have to think it is synonymous with the heart beat. I have personally never
seen that before. It isn't a twitching then, since you mentioned it happens when he sleeps. How
long has this been going on, as long as you have had him?
It is possible that it could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency perhaps. You are also changing his
UVB light to an Arcadia tube bulb, correct?
It is a good sign though, that he eats well, is active & isn't showing a black beard or stress right now.

Tracie
I brought him home June 5th. I can't say I noticed it at all until a few days before my original post, July 7th maybe? He had a noticeable growth spurt and the eye thing came with it. He's in his new enclosure with new arcadia UVB and stronger heat bulb. New basking spot averages 108F. But with the larger enclosure, the far end is only 80. It's only a 48x 18x 18, but it's glass and doesn't seem to like to hold the heat on the cool side.
I use all rep-cal brand supplements. I dust calcium with D3 phos-free on M,W,F, plain calcium no phos no d3 on Tu,Th, and their herptivite multivitamin St,Sn.
Still active and agile. Change in appetite this week, eating more salads, but still munching on dubias. Never shown a black beard once, but does headbob at self if he catches his reflection.

Latest posts