• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Escarole not staple... PSA

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Just a PSA - endive and escarole are related; however, (curly) endive may be consumed daily but not escarole!!!

http://www.onlinebeardeddragoncare.com/can-bearded-dragons-eat-escarole/

http://www.onlinebeardeddragoncare.com/can-bearded-dragons-eat-endive/

I came across this info because I have tortoises and a bearded dragon, so I am constantly searching for staple greens I can feed both of them to cut down costs of buying greens. :) I thought escarole could be fed to Skittles (bearded dragon) daily, since it is so closely related to curly endive but I was incorrect. Figured I would share with y'all!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I always go for the endive. It's got a lot of calcium and when chopped up it doesn't wilt much so it makes it very easy to stick into an unsuspecting dragons mouth while they are eating a superworm :)

Mom2Dovakiin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
try this on for size lol. My new little guy that I'm working with to not be so afraid? he didn't eat much in the way of veggies either so every time I went to pet him or something, I knew he would do his little hiss...so I had a piece of veggie that I would then stick in his mouth. Tricky, I know, but he ate it, and he's slowing eating more on his own now because of it lol. Oh and he's not hissing so much anymore, and I can pick him up too hehehehe.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
try this on for size lol. My new little guy that I'm working with to not be so afraid? he didn't eat much in the way of veggies either so every time I went to pet him or something, I knew he would do his little hiss...so I had a piece of veggie that I would then stick in his mouth. Tricky, I know, but he ate it, and he's slowing eating more on his own now because of it lol. Oh and he's not hissing so much anymore, and I can pick him up too hehehehe.

Dolly has been on an eating on her won strike for months now. This morning she ate a silk worm on her own and went to open her mouth to bask and I put another one in LOL! So far she's eaten 4 silk worms today, 3 on her own and 1 I forced on her. I'm hoping she's over her phase.