• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure lighting

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
i am building a 60" (wide) x 24" (tall) x 20" (deep) enclosure for my BD. It will EPIC, I'm sure ;)

I'm assuming I will need 2 UVB florescent lights (2 @24"). Should I install them on the underneath of the lid or install a mesh screen and lay them on top? My concern is the height of the enclosure and I want my beardie to get as much exposure as he needs. I will be building ledges and other things to climb on as well. I am planning on setting the basking lamp on top of the lid with a mesh screen.

I'll post pix when the project is completed. Thanks in advance for any advise.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a great project, can't wait to see pictures when you are done. It think getting two 24" lights is a good idea, there are other people here that have built their own tanks and have better advise than I do.

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
Why not use a 36" or a 48"? Seems like it's more cost effective to run one fixture instead of two.

If you're putting it on top of the screen, you probably want to get a t5. If you mount it inside, you can probably get by with a t8.

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for the response and the welcome Pasty. I'm looking forward to being part of the group. I think I've convinced myself to install the florescents under the lid for maximum UVB exposure. Given the height and depth of the enclosure I'm leaning towards the RetptiSun 10 unless someone tells me otherwise. I'll probably keep the basking light(s) on top to allow more climbing height without concern for burning. I don't even have the BD yet, so I have time to make sure everything is right and temps are calibrated before taking that final step.

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
drzebra - you seem to know your lighting! For asthetics, I'm thinking I'll mount the UVB under the lid. Is there a risk of too much exposure with the T5 10.0? I plan on having several basking locations at varying heights. Floor to ceiling will be approximately 24".

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have a T5 fixture that is 36" I got it from Dr Foster and Smith online they were having a great sale. I think the T5 10.0 under the screen would give too much UVB. I have mine sitting on top along with my basking bulb. I never liked the idea of mounting things inside my tanks. I just felt like it would take up too much space inside the tank that my beardies could be using. But that's just my preference. My beardies like to use their vertical space as much as they use their horizontal space. They both have hammocks and ledges that they can climb on. Luci likes to use his ledge as a toilet :rolleyes:

drzebra

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah, Patsy, but you have those fancy front-opening tanks. [emoji14]

In all seriousness, it's personal preference. I like mounting inside because I have to access the inside from the top and setting lights on top of the screen is a hassle.

That doesn't make me better than anyone else. That's just how I roll. In the end, as long as your dragons are fat, healthy, and happy, you're doing good.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's true, if you have a top entry tank then putting the lights on top wouldn't work.

I'm just 5 feet tall and with my hunch back I imagine I'll start shrinking any day now :eek: so side doors work better for me. As it is now I need a stool to reach Dexter in her tank, LOL!

Dr. Zebra is right though. It is all a matter of personal preference. As long as you get the temperatures right and your dragon is healthy and happy then it's all good :D

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Sorry took me a second to find the right thread.

As for your other lighting that you mentioned, thats great that its on top. Thatll give you a bit more room to allow for climbing and various levels. Ill push my luck and see if you have the option of making your enclosure any higher? Its always great if you can, but you already have a nice big enclosure so I dont want to make it seem like your not doing great already.

For the basking lights, how far are you willing to go? ;) I know it sounds like a silly question, but depending on your resources and and know how, you can create some pretty amazing light for your dragon. There are some amazing metal halide lights that run about $100. They last for quite awhile (mine has been on 12 hours a day for the last 15 months) and create some of the most beautiful, wide spectrum light available. It takes a bit of wiring, but its pretty basic really. Or you can buy some already made and ready to go for about $150 without having to do any wiring. Metal halides really are the best way to go if you have the money.

If not, there are also cheaper options that are quite capable for the basking area. Normal halogen flood bulbs will give you plenty of heat and nice bright enclosures too.

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
I'm already past the point of no return on the height of the enclosure. I'm pretty much done framing it. The attached picture is from a couple of days ago.

I'll have to look into these metal halides. Are they something that can be retro fitted at a later time? I might just go with a more basic option in the beginning and then progress to something better. Do you think just one basking light will provide enough heat to get the temps where they need to be? If I need two, should they be side-by-side or have a little distance between them?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 56

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fair enough, thats a nice looking enclosure.

Yes, you can go with the easier set up right now and then the metal halides later. They screw into the same bulb fixture, its just a matter of cutting the cord and adding in a ballast.

As for how many bulbs, it will really depend on what sort of 'furniture' you have in there for it to climb on and how close it can get to the light as a result. I always prefer multiple lights as it gives a nice wide basking area. If the basking area is too small the lizard has to move around to allow for its body to warm evenly. With two lights you have a more uniform basking area provided for an adult.

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
So I did a little reading on the medal halides today. I'm leaning hard towards going that route. If you happen to have any links to the type of bulb and fixture you'd recommend (along with the ballast info) I'll look into it for sure.

Made some more progress on the enclosure today. Now it's getting to the slow detail part. I'm going to cut real stone and mount them to the back and side walls and create several ledges using rock as well. I'm hoping it looks like something from Lake Powell. Thing is gonna weigh 300 lbs when I'm done. :):(

I don't want to clutter the space but I'm planning on having a few different hiding spots and basking spots that he can choose from in different locations. My thinking is by having choices, he'll be able to find the right spot that's the right temp for what's he's needing at the moment. Once I figure out the basking lights locations I will have a better idea where to situate the 'furniture'.

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
Here's the progress as of last night. Still deciding what to put on the back and side walls. Original plan was to cut some flagstone into 1/4 in thick pieces and mount to walls but now that I'm seeing how challenging it will be, I need to come up with something else. I have a friend that is an amazing artist and thought about having him paint a desert mural instead.

I'm going to grout the ledges and the support pillars to make it look and feel like rock.

The light fixture is just an old growing lamp I used for my peppers and won't be part of the enclosure. The UVB lamp is mounted under the inside lid in the middle of the enclosure. I moved it all the way to the left to leave about a foot of space on the right side without any UVB light.

Also debating on doing a sliding glass or a fixed glass front.

@jarich, do you have any links to the metal halides you can recommend for this space? I'm holding off building the basking area(s) until I can figure out the right temps for them.

I welcome any comments or suggestions!
image.jpg

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
I used one of the site's sponsors, Wayfare to order the inside wall coverings. Found a great rock tile at a great price. Ordered 20 sq feet. Package arrive yesterday and I received 2 6"x12" sheets for a total of 1 sq foot. Fortunately, Wayfare was responsive and are rushing me the remaining order. Just delays me another week but it's all good. So close, but yet still so far to go.

Jdubclark

Hatchling Dragon
@PatsyB - I understand you have sliding glass doors on your enclosure? Would you mind snapping me a few pix? That's the last piece I have to completing my build and I'd like to get some ideas on options.
Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@PatsyB - I understand you have sliding glass doors on your enclosure? Would you mind snapping me a few pix? That's the last piece I have to completing my build and I'd like to get some ideas on options.
Thanks!
I don't have sliding glass. I have the Exo-Terra with front opening doors.

joshua123

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys, was wondering how tall should my tank be? My length will be 45" and I'm using 30" fixture with 24" reptisun 10.0 with 8 1/2 clamp lamp with exo terra 150watt intense basking spot bulb.

Latest posts