• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Emergency question!

AchillesVirtus

Bearded Dragon Egg
So i just got a new beardie a hypo red seen here he's 10 weeks old.
I read somewhere that wild dandelion greens are really good for them, so i went and got some from out side and fed a bit to him, only then do i remember that my dad treated the property with weed killer a year or 2 back, is this of any threat? is he going to be ok???!? he only ate a very small amount, like not even a 1/4 of a leaf

Attachments

• 995150_10201849072211663_1124541133_n.jpg
    995150_10201849072211663_1124541133_n.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 43

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi, I wouldnt feed anything from outside ! Although you havent sprayed your lawn in a while the pesticides could still be there or your neighbors could have sprayed their lawn and it will travel over. You can buy dandelion greens from grocery stores. Im sure one of the Mods will help you out soon. Just watch him and if you see any signs of him not doing well get to the vet soon. Good luck

AchillesVirtus

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I wouldnt feed anything from outside ! Although you havent sprayed your lawn in a while the pesticides could still be there or your neighbors could have sprayed their lawn and it will travel over. You can buy dandelion greens from grocery stores. Im sure one of the Mods will help you out soon. Just watch him and if you see any signs of him not doing well get to the vet soon. Good luck

Yeah i mainly did this because My blue tongue ate the remaining of my fresh veggies i had for them yesterday and didnt have a way to get more today for them. i dont have any close neighbors, just one but its only a seasonal home, i didnt think about them spraying anything, and i made sure to wash the leaves off before i chopped them up, ive been reading that pesticides like weed killer only stay in the ground about 3-days to a couple weeks. but if pesticides are a problem wouldnt buying convential grown produce be just as bad?? there is always pesticide residue found in convential grown produce

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
You may be right but i still feel safer buying my greens and veggies from the store vs picking them from the lawn. I wash all my food very well before using it.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Many of the vegetables in our super markets have been sprayed with pesticides also. It is a good practice to rinse and soak for 3 hours, then rinse again before feeding any vegetable whether wild or from the market. I dont think you have anything to worry about in this situation though.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Gillie, Achilles, If you buy Organics )usually 60-100 cents more, then you wont have to worry about pesticides at all..... THIS is the only greens I believe you should feed BD's. They also have "Veggie" wash in spray bottles you can buy in the produce section. Our country just had an ordeal with poisons hurting people from the produce, so be extra cautious. I would also rinse with white vinegar as this is safe for your BD and the plant. Just rinse off the vinegar after rubbing the leaves with it.

Organics, if you stay with them, you can't go wrong.

AchillesVirtus

Bearded Dragon Egg
Gillie, Achilles, If you buy Organics )usually 60-100 cents more, then you wont have to worry about pesticides at all..... THIS is the only greens I believe you should feed BD's. They also have "Veggie" wash in spray bottles you can buy in the produce section. Our country just had an ordeal with poisons hurting people from the produce, so be extra cautious. I would also rinse with white vinegar as this is safe for your BD and the plant. Just rinse off the vinegar after rubbing the leaves with it.

Organics, if you stay with them, you can't go wrong.

I actually eat 90% of my produce Organic because of pestitcide and GMOS and such, it gets so hard to live organic when things don't usually get labeled =/ and in my area in Pennsylvania it is VERY hard to find good fresh organic produce, and when you do it's always double the price of conventional grown. Yesterday when i fed him the dandelions i was going to wash them off with apple cider vinegar, is it ok for him to do that in place of white vinegar?

AchillesVirtus

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, Many of the vegetables in our super markets have been sprayed with pesticides also. It is a good practice to rinse and soak for 3 hours, then rinse again before feeding any vegetable whether wild or from the market. I dont think you have anything to worry about in this situation though.

3 hours wow :O but that wont help much for pesticides the plant has absorbed, i guess i'll buy produce that is most likly to be highly contaminated with pesticides organic :) thanks for the answer

Latest posts