• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

EMERGENCY! POISONED? (sunken eyes, trouble breathing)

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
It is 1:44 am and I have been freaking out since 10:30 pm. I have a 2 1/2 year old beardie. This morning he was 100% normal. I’ve been gone for 4 days so he was being cared for by someone else. I get home today (gone for about 6 hours) and I noticed my dragon has sunken eyes which are also watery, sticky saliva, is acting lethargic, and seems to have trouble breathing once in a while. Sometimes it’s normal sometimes it’s not. He also acts like he can’t see (when he moves around he acts like he is trying to climb up). Today I had him outside and I think he caught a bug without me looking (he’s super fast). Didn’t see any fireflies and he also pooped after I put him back in his terrarium. I give him baths often, his irate was pure white, no spots or anything, he gets dusted crickets and veggies several times a week, he’s currently in a 40 gallon glass tank with a 150 W basking bulb (temps range from like 93-86 degrees or just about.). Brand new 10 UVB reptisun bulb. having him in a 40 gal is temporary as I am building a 100 gallon tank for him as soon as I can, but he’s been in a 40 gal for over a year now. Can’t see his “sister” because I block them off with a towel. I don’t see any foreign object in his eye. All vets are closed right now and the emergency ones were no help! I’ve been trying to syringe feed him water and liquid food. He’s had a couple of baths already. I don’t know what’s going on

image.jpg

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
He’s normally a spazz. This is so unlike him. The sunken eyes are really what’s worrying me. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
I just fed him a cricket. He ate it but was chewing weird... not sure how to describe it but he looked uncomfortable while eating it. I almost wonder if he had a seizure or something...

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I just fed him a cricket. He ate it but was chewing weird... not sure how to describe it but he looked uncomfortable while eating it. I almost wonder if he had a seizure or something...
I'm new at being a beardy mom so I don't have any suggestions or help. Peeps are really friendly and helpful here so I hope someone can offer suggestions. Only think I would suggest is get him to a trusted reptile vet as soon as you can. I hope you guy makes a swift recovery.

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
hello! i’m so sorry this is happening you must be so stressed. i’m not a vet and i haven’t had any experience but i hope you can get to a vet asap. keep trying with water to make sure he is hydrated. keep us updated please! i hope everything’s okay

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
I'm a new beardie dad myself so I don't know much, but if you think he ate something, maybe give him some activated charcoal and get him to the vet asap. Sending you good vibes and hoping for a swift recovery!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is 1:44 am and I have been freaking out since 10:30 pm. I have a 2 1/2 year old beardie. This morning he was 100% normal. I’ve been gone for 4 days so he was being cared for by someone else. I get home today (gone for about 6 hours) and I noticed my dragon has sunken eyes which are also watery, sticky saliva, is acting lethargic, and seems to have trouble breathing once in a while. Sometimes it’s normal sometimes it’s not. He also acts like he can’t see (when he moves around he acts like he is trying to climb up). Today I had him outside and I think he caught a bug without me looking (he’s super fast). Didn’t see any fireflies and he also pooped after I put him back in his terrarium. I give him baths often, his irate was pure white, no spots or anything, he gets dusted crickets and veggies several times a week, he’s currently in a 40 gallon glass tank with a 150 W basking bulb (temps range from like 93-86 degrees or just about.). Brand new 10 UVB reptisun bulb. having him in a 40 gal is temporary as I am building a 100 gallon tank for him as soon as I can, but he’s been in a 40 gal for over a year now. Can’t see his “sister” because I block them off with a towel. I don’t see any foreign object in his eye. All vets are closed right now and the emergency ones were no help! I’ve been trying to syringe feed him water and liquid food. He’s had a couple of baths already. I don’t know what’s going on

View attachment 22482
10 UVB reptisun bulb. Is this a coil or long tube fixture? What is his behavior this morning - any black bearding?

Latest posts