• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Elderly Dragon Issues

Trycten7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Quick Background: Liz was adopted by my S.O., about 6 years ago, from a family that adopted him from another family. We estimate that he is at least 8 years old, but can't be sure beyond that. He's always been a poor eater (doesn't eat leafy greens much, if at all, and needs assistance eating worms as he's blind in one eye and has trouble aiming his strikes), and pretty lethargic.

With that out of the way; Liz has had a rough couple years. We took him in about 12 months ago because of lethargy and poor appetite. He was treated for worms and 'assist fed' for a couple weeks after. He passed the worms, gained a little weight, and then went back to the slow and steady crawl towards starvation.

Well, here we are a year later, and he's back to eating almost nothing (if we're lucky, he'll eat a couple giant worms a week and maybe a handful of superworms, but you have to be very patient). My S.O. (bless her heart, she means well) decided to start assist feeding again. She bought a tempered glass eyedropper to feed him the insectivore mix. He snapped down on it, shattered the glass, and swallowed the tip of the eyedropper... so, back to the vet we go.

5 days, and $500, later... he's gained weight from the hospital stay, hasn't shown any signs of bleeding or discomfort, and hasn't passed any glass. We've continued assist feeding (which he clearly hates and causes him great discomfort... as it's the only time he moves with strength), and after a week he's still looking fine (and no glass has passed), but his appetite is still non-existent.

So my question is: Are we just delaying the inevitable here? How do you know when they are at their end, and can't be rehabilitated? Should we just keep rolling with it, and force feed him against his will? It's incredibly frustrating, as we both care very much about his health and happiness. Any advice about elderly dragons, their appetite, and their end-of-life cycle would be much appreciated!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi - all kids are different. Has Liz previously brumated? That may be a contributing factor. Health history indicates the possibility of end of life. Maybe. Or maybe not. Neither of my kids eat a lot during the winter. but they do eat. and they are amazingly strong ! my girl is a retired breeder. im guessing she's about 8. and a real slug a bug! movement is not high on her list of priorities. is he losing weight? during brumation they typically wont. instead of force feeding him - why don't you try dropping it on the tip of his nose to see if he licks it off? my girl hates me messing with her mouth. but readily laps up her water when I drip it. sorry I cant provide more help - kinda one of those ya gotta wing it. blessings --

Trycten7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi - all kids are different. Has Liz previously brumated? That may be a contributing factor. Health history indicates the possibility of end of life. Maybe. Or maybe not. Neither of my kids eat a lot during the winter. but they do eat. and they are amazingly strong ! my girl is a retired breeder. im guessing she's about 8. and a real slug a bug! movement is not high on her list of priorities. is he losing weight? during brumation they typically wont. instead of force feeding him - why don't you try dropping it on the tip of his nose to see if he licks it off? my girl hates me messing with her mouth. but readily laps up her water when I drip it. sorry I cant provide more help - kinda one of those ya gotta wing it. blessings --

Brumation - It's really hard to say. He's exhibited brumation-like symptoms for at least the last 2 years straight (lethargic, reclusive, little to no appetite).

Weight Loss - He does slowly and steadily lose weight over time (if we don't assist feed). After his hospital visit, he is at a much healthier weight, but still doesn't have an appetite (I don't think he's had unassisted food since his return, but I'd have to check with my S.O.).

Assist Feed - We've tried dripping it on his nose, and he did take some of it that way... once. He hasn't repeated that action though, despite multiple attempts. He definitely hates having anything put in his mouth against his will though, and will hiss/thrash to try to avoid it.

Thanks for your response, as it's nice to get more perspective on this. We care for 3 dragons right now, but with Liz being the oldest (by a wide margin, one is 1 yr. and the other is 8 months), this is very much uncharted territory for us.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hats off to you all for all you've been doing for him first off!! It really is hard to say on this what all have you tried feeding?? do you change it up to see if maybe he's bored? have you tried different colored foods? might sound weird but have you tried different types of bowls or plates? With his eyesight that would play a big part...
He is getting up there in age it could be end of life process (of which I have no experience with) although I know of one that lived 16 years.
Neither of mine are big eaters especially their greens so they both get slurries made from their greens and supplements and if they haven't eaten any bugs I put them in there too. But yea no glass dropper :( I hope things improve soon.

Trycten7

Bearded Dragon Egg
Status Update: Liz is still with us.

After his hospital visit, we assist-fed for about 10 days. Since then, he seems to be eating on his own a bit more (though it's still a chore to get him going). The weight he put on at the vet appears to be staying, and he moved around his tank a little more often than he used to. Still no glass in his stool, and no blood. While I don't think Liz is long for this world, it appears that we've stepped back from the brink for the time being. Thank you to all the responses!

Rex Carnage

Hatchling Dragon
Status Update: Liz is still with us.

After his hospital visit, we assist-fed for about 10 days. Since then, he seems to be eating on his own a bit more (though it's still a chore to get him going). The weight he put on at the vet appears to be staying, and he moved around his tank a little more often than he used to. Still no glass in his stool, and no blood. While I don't think Liz is long for this world, it appears that we've stepped back from the brink for the time being. Thank you to all the responses!

hows Liz doing now?

Latest posts