• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubias for the lil guy

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys whats going on, Well Im looking for another Staple for my Iil guy. I was thinking Dubias to try out.
How many should I get for him at first to see if he likes them? Also what size should I get for a 5 month old Juvi??

Also where does everyone buy them or there crickets?? Going to Petsmart for crickets has become pricey.
And since my guy is finally eating well, about 30 a day yeah it gets up there.

Hope you guys can help out thanks a ton

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Try http://www.redearthworms.com/ for dubia. They're really easy to keep as a colony and then you don't need to continually buy more and more. You just feed the appropriate size from your colony.
Tell them we sent you!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
redearthworms also has crickets and other feeders. I order my crickets from Josh's Frogs because they are close home. I've used Ghann's in the past and they are really good. It's so much more economical to order your bugs in bulk. The price of shipping may seem real high but if you figure out how much you pay at Petsmart per cricket you are still getting them cheaper ordering in bulk.

When you find a place, look into how they ship and what their shipping days are and keep an eye on your weather. Josh's will package my crickets real good and put a heat pack in the box but I have had them call me in the past to tell me they were holding my order because it was too cold to ship (it was probably around 20 degrees or less).

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I find that crickets are really hard to keep alive for a prolonged period. Plus, they're very difficult to breed. I've been using dubia for ~9 months now and I doubt I'll ever go back!
Just sayin'! ;)

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey thanks for the link. Well I dont wanna buy a ton of Dubias and be stuck with them. Im not sure if he will even eat them you know. I wish I had a local store that sold them, but they dont anymore. So Maybe Ill get a small Bulk of Crickets and ask them to throw in a few dubias. Just to see how he reacts to them. And if he likes them Then purchase a nice colony so I can start the breed.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's a great idea. Do you have any reptile shows near you? That's where I usually pick up new foods to try.

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That's a great idea. Do you have any reptile shows near you? That's where I usually pick up new foods to try.

Idk never looked, and dont know where to start hahaha. Im kinda new to the reptile game again

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Uhhhhhh That myte just happen actually. I been wanting to get another one. But scared they myte not get along or so......

Def will take pix and make a nice thread for my Fellow Members!!!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you get another, you should probably keep them in separate enclosures as beardies can be pretty brutally mean to each other. I generally do not recommend cohabitating them. :(

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you get another, you should probably keep them in separate enclosures as beardies can be pretty brutally mean to each other. I generally do not recommend cohabitating them. :(

But why do they do that in pet shops and the local reptile stores near my house? =/

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Because juveniles tend to leave each other alone more and because it's far more economical to do it that way. I've seen pairs together that start nipping and you quickly end up with dragons with missing tail tips, and toes. It's not good. :(

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Because juveniles tend to leave each other alone more and because it's far more economical to do it that way. I've seen pairs together that start nipping and you quickly end up with dragons with missing tail tips, and toes. It's not good. :(

Thats not good at all. Uhhhhh Ohh well there goes that plan on getting another one. That blows Would have been cool to see them together in the tank....

But also when Im in the pet stores I dont see them going after each other. And my one reptile place had about 10-12 in 1 tank with like 2 sticks in it.
And didnt see them going a wall. hahaha I guess To each there own

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Some people definitely cohabitate their dragons but I don't recommend it for the reasons above. I'd much rather have two tanks than a beardie with missing toes - or worse.
Obviously results vary but not everyone is always around to make sure their beardies are playing nicely.

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Some people definitely cohabitate their dragons but I don't recommend it for the reasons above. I'd much rather have two tanks than a beardie with missing toes - or worse.
Obviously results vary but not everyone is always around to make sure their beardies are playing nicely.

That is true, Would have been nice to have 2 guys in the tank, ohhh well. Maybe one day 2 tanks but right now this is enough hahahah takes up enough space in my room lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I find that crickets are really hard to keep alive for a prolonged period. Plus, they're very difficult to breed. I've been using dubia for ~9 months now and I doubt I'll ever go back!
Just sayin'! ;)

I must be the only person that has luck with keeping crickets alive LOL! I bought 500 at the beginning of November and just used up my last 25 on Saturday. I tried breeding them once when I used to buy real big ones for Dexter. I got tons of eggs but none ever hatched, I don't think I kept them warm enough.

I just just sat Dexter on the floor for a minute while Luci was across the room and within seconds he went for her head! I didn't even see him move, all the sudden he was just there. Luckily I was there too to pull her away.

Latest posts