• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dubia roaches escapes

hey where's Perry

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi. I want to switch over to dubias but my husband said that they will find a heat source such as your tv or computer. What happens to the computer and tv if that happens? We r in Illinois. I told him about the humidity and no water would kill it but still concerned about the electronics. Summer is coming what if I kept them in the garage. Would they go out into the "wild" and make more roaches?
I really am sick of the crickets.
Thanks

Sarah Kwiatkowski

Juvenile Dragon
I store my roaches in a dark colored tub with a heat mat which covers half of the tub (the side with out food and water) they can not climb and escape the smoth walls (make sure sides are smooth). You can store your roaches out side as long as their set up stay no colder/hotter than 80•f . I hope this can help!

hey where's Perry

Bearded Dragon Egg
I think that if 1 escapes and it was in the tv or computer wouldn't that still be a dry heat so they would die anyway? Or would they start eating all the wires?
Could u imagine all of us watching tv and then we see a dubia crawling around the inside tube while watching a movie? . Just his little silhouette. Lol
I'd be killed..

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
Most critters that eat rubber / nylon die from the inedible object (im guessing basically impaction). If anything the harm would be the bug temporarily shorting a few components which can damage some electronics, especially the newer generations which are voltage and current sensitive.

Chrisw

Hatchling Dragon
Hi. I want to switch over to dubias but my husband said that they will find a heat source such as your tv or computer. What happens to the computer and tv if that happens? We r in Illinois. I told him about the humidity and no water would kill it but still concerned about the electronics. Summer is coming what if I kept them in the garage. Would they go out into the "wild" and make more roaches?
I really am sick of the crickets.
Thanks
Just add packing tape to top of container and it will be fine. No escapes. Are you looking into breeding dubia roaches?

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
I don't even have a top on my breeder tank ahha never had one escape on its own.ive accidentally let some out when putting them in the feeding bowl for the dragons.but I would find them later dead in the bath room or laundry room

MealwormsHQ

Bearded Dragon Egg
My facility is based out of California and we produce tens of thousands of dubias a year. I've only had a few escapees and I always found them dead on their back. That's usually a sign of dehydration from little to no humidity. They are a tropical species and need the humid weather especially to aid with digestion. If they have only heat and no humidity, upon eating dry food, they will not be able to digest their food and the result will be food rotting in their gut which causes them to roll over and die.

hey where's Perry

Bearded Dragon Egg
[Qwant="MealwormsHQ, post: 90467, member: 5119"]My facility is based out of California and we produce tens of thousands of dubias a year. I've only had a few escapees and I always found them dead on their back. That's usually a sign of dehydration from little to no humidity. They are a tropical species and need the humid weather especially to aid with digestion. If they have only heat and no humidity, upon eating dry food, they will not be able to digest their food and the result will be food rotting in their gut which causes them to roll over and die.[/QUOTE]
Just add packing tape to top of container and it will be fine. No escapes. Are you looking into breeding dubia roaches?
I want to. Can't get my cricket eggs to ever hatch. Our little beardy now about 5months old was an impulse buy with no research done for a Christmas gift for the kids. Had no idea how expensive they were to feed. I spend so much time every day checking on the crickets and seeing if the adults r done laying there eggs and if they r eating the eggs so on and so on. My husband is so mad that I spend so much time with the crickets but they cost so much and it's like throwing away money.
Aren't dubia s less maintenance? Just make sure they have food and water but leave them alone and maybe once a month clean out their bin? Plus I don't have to tend to any babies nonstop? And then just to figure out when to separate the one's to feed my piggy beardy? Doesn't all this take less time to clean a fish tank which takes my husband a long time to do so he can't say anything about the time I spend with the dubia s?
I don't need that many dubias since its just one little piggy and soon he will be eating more greens AND my husband is now making me limit how many crickets I feed him a day cuz of the money to like 15 a day. He's so mean. I don't want to get rid of Perry cuz I'm totally in love with him. Plus I'm a nurse so it's in my nature to tend to people and animals and do what's best for them.
Im in Illinois. What's the difference between dubia s and yucky old fashion "cockroaches"
I want to educate him but he us being so closedminded since hehe's in the vending industry.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dubias top crickets in every category. Lots less time consuming! You got to do this! Dubias are a soft shell which need heat and humidity. They dont climb or fly. Escapes are rare and will die if you do drop one or two - wont breed. Do it!

Latest posts