• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DUBIA ROACHES DYING OFF

Double d

Hatchling Dragon
I GOT 500 5/8 DUBIA ROACHES IN THE MAIL FROM DUBIAROACHES.COM I OPENED THEM UP AND PUT THEM IN THEIR BIN AND WENT ON MY WAY. THE BIN IS LOCATED IN THE SAME ROOM AS MY BEARDED DRAGONS AND MY BREEDER COLONY THE ROOM IS PRETTY TOASTY I DON'T KNOW THE EXACT TEMPERATURE BUT YOU HAVE TO THINK TWO HEAT LAMPS AND HEATING MAT GOING.. I CAME BACK TO CHECK ON THEM ABOUT 3 TO 4 HOURS LATER AND I ESTIMATE OVER A 100 TO 150 WERE DEAD OR ON THERE BACK BLOATED AND BARELY MOVING AND ABOUT TO DIE... DO YOU THINK THEY ARE TOO HOT? I DON'T HAVE A HEATING MAT UNDER THE CONTAINER AS IT ONLY A FEEDER BIN.. I HAVE WATER CRYSTALS AND CRICKET CHOW AND A APPLE AS THE FOOD IN THE BIN.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, well it must be environmental or food related for them to die so quickly. They like the heat and humidity so unless its sky high cant see that being the problem. Hdrydr is the dubia expert here, but I would say, take the food out that you have in there and maybe replace it with some greens until you know whats causing it. They should get the water they need from the greens. Sorry I cant be more help, sounds like its time sensitive, I know 500 dubias aint cheap

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Make sure you contact dubiaroaches and let them know what happened. If you just got them they should replace them. They probably needed a cool pack in shipping.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just to add...I just ordered a bunch of roaches from Hdrydr31 and they are came alive and eager to get out of the bag!

I usually order from dubiaroaches and never had any issues but she's had an over load with her colony lately.

Double d

Hatchling Dragon
I talked to them this morning and I was told it could have been them just over heating during shipment and that I will get replacements.. no need to remove food lol

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
ok good, I did say I didnt know but it was a possibility. As so many died so quickly when you put them into your bin, something toxic or bacterial in their food was a possible cause,or even in the plastic of the bin itself. This came from a guide:

It may be helpful at this point to know that roaches tend to die quickly after exposure to a lethal dose of toxic chemicals or physical injury. Of course, this isn’t always the case, but it’s a good general rule. So you want to rule this out quickly, or determine if it’s a likelihood or even a possibility. This is because poisoning is among the most serious findings, and the most urgent. You will have to take action quickly if that’s what you’ve got. A “slow” die-off means chemical exposure is less likely, and if by chance it is an exposure, it may be less serious.

I have since read a few posts from people who have had their roaches sent in unsuitable containers where they overheat and die, just seemed starnge that they died when taken out of their packaging instead of in it. If theyve stopped dying off now, seems that is the answer

Double d

Hatchling Dragon
ok good, I did say I didnt know but it was a possibility. As so many died so quickly when you put them into your bin, something toxic or bacterial in their food was a possible cause,or even in the plastic of the bin itself. This came from a guide:

It may be helpful at this point to know that roaches tend to die quickly after exposure to a lethal dose of toxic chemicals or physical injury. Of course, this isn’t always the case, but it’s a good general rule. So you want to rule this out quickly, or determine if it’s a likelihood or even a possibility. This is because poisoning is among the most serious findings, and the most urgent. You will have to take action quickly if that’s what you’ve got. A “slow” die-off means chemical exposure is less likely, and if by chance it is an exposure, it may be less serious.

I have since read a few posts from people who have had their roaches sent in unsuitable containers where they overheat and die, just seemed starnge that they died when taken out of their packaging instead of in it. If theyve stopped dying off now, seems that is the answer

Yeah I thought it was weird too I did take them out the room and placed them in a Air Condition room for the night and this morning I saw about 6 dead guys.. the rest was super active.. Just butt hurt so many passed
Away lol.. it's hard to get dubia in My part of Louisiana

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It can be pretty tricky shipping in the summer especially when it's hot.. I worry every time I ship some out lol I almost prefer shipping in fall and early winter much better I can control the temp better..
so yea they likely overheated ..

rdoyle225

Juvenile Dragon
I had this happen. Most likely due to the weather.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Latest posts