• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia Roach Info! :D

James34780

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, I think I really am going to start a colony. I know there are probably tons of these threads and tons of info all over the internet, but here is another one :D. First of all, I live in California. I just want to make sure there is no way these roaches are going to infest my home if one or two somehow escape successfully.

Currently, I only have my one Beardie, i'll put some pictures somewhere on here someday! She is around 4 months and 10ish inches. The colony will be all hers! >:D. I want to get the colony up and running very, very quickly. But I don't want to get an uncontrollable amount of roaches, although I could just sell them on Craigslist so that isn't that big of a deal.

So basically, I can look up the care and setups and all that, but I just want to know the amount of roaches I should start with. Thank you for your time :D

TL;DR: In CA, will these roaches actually have a chance of infesting my home. How many roaches should I start with to stabilize a colony very quickly.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, despite some of the accounts that they will not infest your home. The truth is that they can and will given the chance. Highly unlikely but there is a risk. You can buy a product called "slippery feet" around the top to disable any chance of one escaping. To get a colony rolling for a single dragon and they will be the dragons staple. Depending on your dragons size and appetite. I typically wouldnt go anything less than 500 adults.

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
500 adults - isn't that a lot? :eek:

I assume 400 females and 100 males? Wouldn't that be about 10,000 babies a month? Sounds like a lot for one dragon. But it would definitely get the colony started quickly! :)

Latest posts