• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia question

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
While feeding today, I noticed the dubia burrow into the sand, where they can't get them. Will the dubia eventually come out of the sand on their own to be eaten, or should I dig them out? I know I can leave then in the enclosures until lights out. I'm more curious if I should just let them stay all borrowed into the sand. :)

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
I would get them out. I had one go in a small hole in my log and didn't come out till I shacked him out a week later. Now I just feed out of the tank. It's more fun and by letting her eat them off my finger. I feel like I'm making the bond a bit better.
Also they poop a lot. So I'd get em out just to keep it a bit cleaner

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Definitely want to get them out. That is one of the drawbacks to combining Dubias and particulate substrate. One option which I used with success when I had Mungi on plays and was to use a large dish with slick steep sides on the inside. That inhibited the roaches from being able to get out of the dish and burrow. I actually found the dish at Wallyworld. It was a ceramic crock they use for single serve curstards. Has a specific name but I can't remember off hand.
The other option would be of course to feed in a different tank but I have mixed opinions on that and personally never had much success with it. Seemed that being plopped into a desperate tank was more confusing to Mungi and most times he would be more interested in checking out the tank instead of eating. I think Germ uses a seperate feeding tank with some of his dragons with success however.
Enjoy!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have the perfect solution. I'm just going to switch back to tile. :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Latest posts