• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Droopy eyes/Not digested food

Mr.Wiishee

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is Mr. Wiishee I got him a few weeks ago and his eyes are droopy they were not when I got him and he is not fully digesting his food and his poop is pretty runny. He is my first beardie and is 8 months old. I’m thinking possibly parasites, what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    392.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1563.jpeg
    IMG_1563.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is Mr. Wiishee I got him a few weeks ago and his eyes are droopy they were not when I got him and he is not fully digesting his food and his poop is pretty runny. He is my first beardie and is 8 months old. I’m thinking possibly parasites, what are your thoughts?
Ok the droopy eye could be genetic - the undigested food is from inaccurate surface basking temps- they need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- basking bulb should be a clear solid bright white bulb -- no off white colored yellowish or daytime bulbs- UVB NO coils - a good long tube fixture like a Zoo Med Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech - properly placed and distanced for the screen on the tank --- if this is all good and on par then a parasite fecal should be taken in for testing- what is the staple insect and the rest of the diet your feeding?

Mr.Wiishee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the droopy eye could be genetic - the undigested food is from inaccurate surface basking temps- they need to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- basking bulb should be a clear solid bright white bulb -- no off white colored yellowish or daytime bulbs- UVB NO coils - a good long tube fixture like a Zoo Med Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb 24 watt or a Sunblaster Nano Tech - properly placed and distanced for the screen on the tank --- if this is all good and on par then a parasite fecal should be taken in for testing- what is the staple insect and the rest of the diet your feeding?
His basking spot is 105 and the cool side is 75 I am using a 200 wat CHE heat bulb and a 14% Arcadia Pro T5 HO and I have the heat bulb connected to a thermostat. His staple insect are Dubai roaches and I also offer silks and will be getting him some grass hoppers. Horned worms as a treat. I feed mustard greens, collard green, cilantro and yellow squash with daily calcium without D3 and bee pollen sprinkled on top. He did not have the droopy eyes when we first got him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His basking spot is 105 and the cool side is 75 I am using a 200 wat CHE heat bulb and a 14% Arcadia Pro T5 HO and I have the heat bulb connected to a thermostat. His staple insect are Dubai roaches and I also offer silks and will be getting him some grass hoppers. Horned worms as a treat. I feed mustard greens, collard green, cilantro and yellow squash with daily calcium without D3 and bee pollen sprinkled on top. He did not have the droopy eyes when we first got him
We can have Tracie look at the eye --- she would be able to help better in that department -- CHE's do not emit UVA and are not a good basking bulb -I have seen too many dragons die under CHE's they are good for keeping temps warm in the winter months but not basking bulbs--- he needs the bright white light like the sun --- the Arcadia is good and are good for tanks that are 24" high or better -- they are a good strong bulb - how tall is the tank and is it in the tank or sitting on the screen? The diet is good so yellow squash can cause loose stools but the lighting needs to be adjusted first -- I will send your post to Tracie about the eye issue

Mr.Wiishee

Bearded Dragon Egg
We can have Tracie look at the eye --- she would be able to help better in that department -- CHE's do not emit UVA and are not a good basking bulb -I have seen too many dragons die under CHE's they are good for keeping temps warm in the winter months but not basking bulbs--- he needs the bright white light like the sun --- the Arcadia is good and are good for tanks that are 24" high or better -- they are a good strong bulb - how tall is the tank and is it in the tank or sitting on the screen? The diet is good so yellow squash can cause loose stools but the lighting needs to be adjusted first -- I will send your post to Tracie about the eye issue
Ok thank you! We will get a new basking bulb can we still use the CHE for night time since the temp drops below 65? Are halogen bulbs like the ones you get from Home Depot good for basking?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok thank you! We will get a new basking bulb can we still use the CHE for night time since the temp drops below 65? Are halogen bulbs like the ones you get from Home Depot good for basking?
Yes use the CHE for night time temps if they are dropping below 65 ambient temp at night- -- A good halogen bulb is a Arcadia Halogen - I dont know about bulbs from Home Depot - I had gotten a Phillips bulb Par 38 at one time but it was way too hot so I have basically stuck w/ regular basking bulbs - I have a 120 gallon tank and use a 150 watt Flukers basking and a 75 watt as well - just make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get accurate surface basking temps - hot side of the tank should be in the 90's to 100 ambient temp -- your dragon will pick the spot where he likes the temp -- so its good to have a gradient

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is the eye doing, today? Does it seem to be bothering her?
There are some dragons who have a droopy eye lid due to simply genetics. I am not sure why
but I have seen it in some cases.
Is his appetite good, overall?
Are you using a bright white light in combination with the ceramic heat emitter too?

Tracie

Mr.Wiishee

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

How is the eye doing, today? Does it seem to be bothering her?
There are some dragons who have a droopy eye lid due to simply genetics. I am not sure why
but I have seen it in some cases.
Is his appetite good, overall?
Are you using a bright white light in combination with the ceramic heat emitter too?

Tracie
I just got the bright light so I will be putting it in today and will be using it in conjunction with the CHE his appetite is good and I think his eyes are looking better than they were. I’m not sure what was going on.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just got the bright light so I will be putting it in today and will be using it in conjunction with the CHE his appetite is good and I think his eyes are looking better than they were. I’m not sure what was going on.
Make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get surface basking temps- this is important- - CHE's are not for basking they are to keep or get temps up in the tank - your solid clear bright white bulb gives off UVA CHE's do not -- temps for surface basking should be 95-100 for a 6 mon old and up

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is great his eyes are looking better right now, I hope they continue to improve! Perhaps the light
for the basking just wasn't quite bright enough. That makes a huge difference, because the tube bulbs
while bright, usually don't emit quite enough UVA & overall brightness alone.
How are his temperatures now, using both the new basking light & ceramic heat emitter for him?

Tracie

Latest posts