• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Drako's New Home

Kymatix & Drako

Bearded Dragon Egg

Hello everybody,
This is Drako, my name is Kyle and I'm new to the community. I wanted to share the new terrarium that I've been working on for my beardie Drako. He is just about 2 years old, and 18" nose to tail. We got him from a friend who was moving and couldn't take both his dragons with him. It has been great having him in our home, and I've really love with this lizard, which I didn't really expect at first.

Here is a photo of his old set up, and Exo-Terra Small-Tall (18” x 18” x 24” [WxDxH])

I knew it was too small, so we decided to build him a new one. My grandpa, a woodworker, built the wooden terrarium, using MDF for the walls and plywood for the base, with plexiglass sliding doors. It is approximately 4'L, 2'W and 2'H, for a volume around 120 gallons. We sealed it using a water based poly-acrylic multi-purpose sealer.

We decided to use ceramic tile as the substrate, with a seedling heater under the tile in his cave. I built the fake rocks using polystyrene insulation and grout, sealed with a no-VOC penetrating grout sealant. There are 4 separate pieces of fake rock making up his caves and basking rock. I decided to keep them separate for flexibility and convenience.

Drako loves climbing, so we fastened soft pieces of driftwood to the back wall with screws from the outside. We also set-up a Zoo-Med Reptile Hammock, just using screws and washers instead of the suction cups. The fake plant vines are secured with zip-ties with screw-mounts, so they can support him when he climbs on them. (I wasn't sure if he would, but within 3 minutes of exploring his new place he was climbing them!)

For the light set-up, we decided to go with a Zoo Med Repti-Sun 24" UVB Terrarium hood, mounted in a pre-cut hole in the lid. Then we have 2 Zoo Med Combo Deep Dish fixtures on metal screens in the rear. They both have an Exo-Terra 100W Infrared basking spot light. One also has a blue moon-light, and the other just has a regular 60w incandescent bulb (not really using at this time).

The UVB and 1 Infrared basking spot light are hooked up to the timer on a 12 hour cycle. The other IR spot light I've been leaving on 24 hours, as Drako seems to like sleeping up on the driftwood where he is in most the photos (Drako's favourite spot). The moon-light I turn on and off manually, and the 60w bulb is just used if a little heat boost is needed. You can also see the metal screens we custom made for the light fixtures. And his worm dish and veggie dish down there in the front.

For ventilation, we have the screens in the lid and then 6 - 2"diameter vents. As you see here, the 3 on the left side are near the bottom, where they are about midway up on the right side. This are on the left is his cool side, with some rocks and pieces of slate that stay cool, and the wood provides some shade.

Here is a picture with the plexi-glass back in, which I had removed for most the other photos.

He definitely seems pretty proud of his new home. He's been very active and exploring every nook and cranny, making good use of his favourite spots. The hammock and basking rock are good, but his favourite seems to be on the driftwood up in the corner. His colour seems to have brightened and his appetite seems to have increased, I'm not sure if its just the season or if he's really happy, or both =).

If you have any questions, or would like further details on anything feel free to ask. I hope that you guys like this as much as Drako seems to! =)

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome digs! What a lucky Drako! Welcome

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Looks good! My father and brother are woodworkers and I wish they lived closer to me so we could design enclosures. My only question for you, is there enough ventilation? I've seen other wooden enclosures that have vents in the back or the side. I don't see that in your tank and the lights seem to be snug on the top.

Kymatix & Drako

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks ladies! In response to PatsyB; There are six 2" vents, 3 on either side. The fake plants do a good job of covering them up in the photos. When I place my hand near the bottom vents on the left-hand side, I definitely feel a cool draw, so I think the venting is working well, as air is circulating. My grandfather lives about 1000km away, but i was fortunate enough to have my parents bring down the terrarium. They build it to be modular, so we could have packed it flat and shipped in on the greyhound.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You should switch out the infrared bulbs to the white light.... It's more natural light for your beardie...... And you shouldn't have any light on at night nor heat unless your temps drop below 65 degree. They need to cool off at night......

Great looking viv and welcome to the forums.....

Beardielizzy

Hatchling Dragon
This is so awesome I love it ! I wish I had this for my beardie I'm actually going today to get some plywood to cover the bottom of the terrain it's all glass and going to place mostly tile with just a very small area of sand ! What's the best way to keep the tile down ? Safe for the beardie ? And I was thinking our hammock never stays up with those stupid suction things any ideas on suction and glass ??

Beardielizzy

Hatchling Dragon
That's what I just did ! I went to my local Home Depot and they showed me this rubber contact sheet I can put under the tiles so they don't move around ! It's gonna look great I will try to post pics when I'm done

Kymatix & Drako

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah I just laid the tiles in there, using the power of gravity to hold them down =). That way, I can move the heating pad (and tiles) if needed, as well as making it really easy to clean as MisterD83 said. As for the stupid suction cups on the hammock, I didn't even use those and just screwed the hammock into the wall with washers and screws. But if i were to use them, I would just make sure the glass and suction cups were really clean. You could use an alcohol based cleaner (could use an 'antiseptic moist towellette') or an isopropyl alcohol solution and cloth to clean both sides before applying.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I just lay the tiles in using sand to fill in the gasp;) and kept a little sand pit for Diego coz he loves to dig :)

Mariah94

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Very nice!!! Love this. My boyfriend just finished my oldest girls Viv, definitely keeping it simple for now until she adjusts. She's not used to all the space lol.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Simple is betta. Well i think so and my beardies seem to luv there vivs :)

Latest posts