• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon Mood Swing

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone, I have been curious about my Beardie Spike... I have had him for a year now and he has been able to let me do just about whatever I want to him.. I just recently moved into my sisters room after her moving out, so I decided to clean out his aquarium and put fresh sand in it. And it has been a month now, and he has just been very upset, everytime I walk into the room or even look into the aquarium, he puffs out, and hisses as shown in the pic... I do feed him regularly and I'm just not sure what to do anymore :(.. I look to you guys for advice cause I would really hate to get rid of him.. please help.

Attachments

• 1413072465039.jpg
    1413072465039.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 182

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Other than changing rooms was anything else changed in his tank? Did he always have sand or did you just put that in? Are his temperatures still the same. The spot his tank is in, is it near a window, or a heat vent or anything?

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
Other than changing rooms was anything else changed in his tank? Did he always have sand or did you just put that in? Are his temperatures still the same. The spot his tank is in, is it near a window, or a heat vent or anything?
He had sand in the past but it was a lower quality sand at my local store, his temperatures are the same, and he is close to my vent in the house, but my dad doesn't use the furnace for the house since we use room heaters instead.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You may have to go through the steps as if he is a new dragon. Cover the sides of his tank to make him feel more secure. Put something of yours in his tank so he remembers your scent. Slowly put your hands in his tank and let them linger. When he hisses at you don't show him you are afraid.

I know when I put sand in Dexter's tank she got real depressed and kinda sulked and didn't really move for a month. Then I figured out that she didn't like the sand and I removed it and she was back to her normal self.

Even though he is flaring out at you, make sure he still gets regular baths and gets hydrated. The more hydrated a dragon is the less problem with impaction from the sand.

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
You may have to go through the steps as if he is a new dragon. Cover the sides of his tank to make him feel more secure. Put something of yours in his tank so he remembers your scent. Slowly put your hands in his tank and let them linger. When he hisses at you don't show him you are afraid.

I know when I put sand in Dexter's tank she got real depressed and kinda sulked and didn't really move for a month. Then I figured out that she didn't like the sand and I removed it and she was back to her normal self.

Even though he is flaring out at you, make sure he still gets regular baths and gets hydrated. The more hydrated a dragon is the less problem with impaction from the sand.
Alright. I will do so. Thanks alot. I will get back to you if there is improvement. Again. Thanks alot for your advice. :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You're welcome. I just hope it helps. Keep thinking about anything that could be going on in that room that you aren't realizing. One of our members, her dragon was acting different. She took it to the vet and couldn't find anything wrong with him. It turned out that they had moved his tank and there was a small gas leak near the tank that they didn't know about.

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ah alrighty.. I don't think the vent would bother him since his tank was near a vent in the previous room, that wouldn't set him off would it?

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
See Patsy, this is a better picture than last night on how he acts and this is just simply walking by the tank.

Attachments

• 20141012_130210.jpg
    20141012_130210.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 172

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
It's not.. and it's very upsetting to me cause I used to be able to have him sit on my shoulder and play my video games.. and now that I moved into the room he's been acting like this..
A few weeks back Diego went through a strange wheren he wud.puff if we tried to tough him in his.viv n he wud.go all black bearded. We had to trick him.out with bugs. My bf wud put q boanket over his onees n onto the table the viv is on n then put a bug on the blanket. Being the greedy boy he is he jumped out for the bug. This lasted a few weeks then.it all of a sudden stopped. I put it dwn to hormones. Maybe he goin through the samebkinda thing u just have to show em whos boss n i no it can b hard but try not flinch coz it shows them ur scared. Try the big trick to get him out n maybe he mite chill a bit then.

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
A few weeks back Diego went through a strange wheren he wud.puff if we tried to tough him in his.viv n he wud.go all black bearded. We had to trick him.out with bugs. My bf wud put q boanket over his onees n onto the table the viv is on n then put a bug on the blanket. Being the greedy boy he is he jumped out for the bug. This lasted a few weeks then.it all of a sudden stopped. I put it dwn to hormones. Maybe he goin through the samebkinda thing u just have to show em whos boss n i no it can b hard but try not flinch coz it shows them ur scared. Try the big trick to get him out n maybe he mite chill a bit then.
Yes I'm gonna go out sometime and pick up some crickets for him and see what happens.. but yea he could be going through some hormonal thing lol.. silly to think but is a good possibility.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Wow is he mad! I'm sorry that you are going through this. Hopefully, it's just a phase and he will get over it. Getting him out and letting him be is a good idea. Is there somewhere that you could just let him run without him getting hurt or into something he shouldn't?

Our Luci was real bad when we first got him. Never puffed up his beard like yours but he would hiss at me and try to bite me, I could never hold him. We have a large living room so we started blocking it off and letting him run wild to burn off some of his frustrations. Right now he's siting on my shoulder getting ready to go to sleep.

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow is he mad! I'm sorry that you are going through this. Hopefully, it's just a phase and he will get over it. Getting him out and letting him be is a good idea. Is there somewhere that you could just let him run without him getting hurt or into something he shouldn't?

Our Luci was real bad when we first got him. Never puffed up his beard like yours but he would hiss at me and try to bite me, I could never hold him. We have a large living room so we started blocking it off and letting him run wild to burn off some of his frustrations. Right now he's siting on my shoulder getting ready to go to sleep.

I can pick him up, but I jus have to be really crafty with it lol. He doesn't struggle at all when I'm hanging on to him, but I can try letting him roam around alittle closed off area in my room see what happens.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh id give him a free run as often as possible cud b just the change in room. I no this sounds silly but do u have a ceiling fan in ur room the only reason i ask is coz Boris stared at ours in the living room for a few days wen we moved him. He dnt seem to like it at all.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I didn't even think about the ceiling fan! Yes, Luci gets mad at the fan too!

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
I didn't even think about the ceiling fan! Yes, Luci gets mad at the fan too!
No I don't have a ceiling fan in my room. The only fan I have in my room is a small 6 inch heater. That's about it and the only time I use that is in the winter time and it's never bothered him in the past...

Grovyle111

Bearded Dragon Egg
Unfortunately no... after giving him mealworms, crickets, having the sides covered.. no change at all... :/

Latest posts