• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does a beardie have to poop before brumation?

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Hi! So my beardie has been in brumation for a month already and he didn’t poop before he started and I was reading online that it’s dangerous. Is that the case? If yes what can I do about it?

thank you!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! So my beardie has been in brumation for a month already and he didn’t poop before he started and I was reading online that it’s dangerous. Is that the case? If yes what can I do about it?

thank you!
He will be fine ---- make sure your keeping a weight on him kitchen food scale weigh in grams - he may loose some weight but you dont want a lot -- keep him hydrated get him out every 3 weeks or so offer water and weigh him -

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
He will be fine ---- make sure your keeping a weight on him kitchen food scale weigh in grams - he may loose some weight but you dont want a lot -- keep him hydrated get him out every 3 weeks or so offer water and weigh him -
Ok awesome so I weighed him and he lost 10 grams in the past month so now he’s 132 grams is that a healthy amount? He’s 2 years old

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok awesome so I weighed him and he lost 10 grams in the past month so now he’s 132 grams is that a healthy amount? He’s 2 years old
No that is not good --- your dragon should be over 300 grams --- please go over the basking temps and the UVB --- what are you using for a UVB NO coils please -- basking bulbs should be a BRIGHT white basking bulb NO colored bulbs NO off white NO daytime bulbs NO yellowish bulb -- please post a pic of him please --- 10 grams and his weight is too low --- we need to fix what ever needs fixing ---

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
No that is not good --- your dragon should be over 300 grams --- please go over the basking temps and the UVB --- what are you using for a UVB NO coils please -- basking bulbs should be a BRIGHT white basking bulb NO colored bulbs NO off white NO daytime bulbs NO yellowish bulb -- please post a pic of him please --- 10 grams and his weight is too low --- we need to fix what ever needs fixing ---
Oh I’m so sorry I meant 332 grams oops
He’s pretty healthy you helped me set up his lighting and everything so he’s doing well he’s definitely on the skinnier side and quite wrinkly compared to how he was before he went into brumation I attached a pic just in case.

thanx!!

Attachments

• C7301748-32E1-4BF9-872D-0BDEFA1E800A.jpeg
    C7301748-32E1-4BF9-872D-0BDEFA1E800A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 85

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I’m so sorry I meant 332 grams oops
He’s pretty healthy you helped me set up his lighting and everything so he’s doing well he’s definitely on the skinnier side and quite wrinkly compared to how he was before he went into brumation I attached a pic just in case.

thanx!!
Ok that's better- keep an eye on that weight tho- you don't really want him losing anymore weight and make sure he's hydrated- he should be sustaining his weight 332 is good if he continues to drop weight a fecal would need to be collected and taken in for parasites - I am going to find out how much weight loss is accept during brumation

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok that's better- keep an eye on that weight tho- you don't really want him losing anymore weight and make sure he's hydrated- he should be sustaining his weight 332 is good if he continues to drop weight a fecal would need to be collected and taken in for parasites - I am going to find out how much weight loss is accept during brumation
ok so up to 20 grams is acceptable -- keep track and keep hydrated

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Awesome I will keep an eye out.
He was at the vet some time ago and he had parasites and so they gave me a medicine and he took his last dose before he went into brumation and never pooped hopefully it’s fine

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey so my beardie has been in brumation for 5 1/2 months is that normal? He lost a total of 15g so far and weighs 328g (as of last month)
Please get him out they should not brumate for more than 3-- something is going on - is he semi brumation or in a deep sleep? Make sure he has a long tube uvb no coils please-- basking bulb is a bright white bulb no colored no off white or yellowish bulbs or daytime bulbs -- temps should be 95-100 they should be surface basking temps and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Please get him out they should not brumate for more than 3-- something is going on - is he semi brumation or in a deep sleep? Make sure he has a long tube uvb no coils please-- basking bulb is a bright white bulb no colored no off white or yellowish bulbs or daytime bulbs -- temps should be 95-100 they should be surface basking temps and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-
3 months?? I wish I would’ve asked sooner. You helped me with his lighting and cage it’s all good and up to date he also has a pretty new uvb bulb. I’m not sure what the difference is between semi brumation or deep sleep but I can try to explain how he’s behaving. So the first 3 months he was in his hide barely moved throughout the 3 months besides when I would take him out to weigh him and then he would get some heat and go back to sleep. After 3 months he started shifting positions in the hide every other day and if I would peek in he would wake up and open his eyes a bit which means hes prob not in as deep of a sleep as he was the first 3 months. Just gonna add this in… before he went to sleep he was losing an unhealthy amount of weight so I brought him to the vet and they took a stool sample and found parasites. They gave me medication and I gave him his last dose a few days before he went into his sleep. I’m assuming the medication took care of the parasites but just mentioning it just in case there’s a possibility that this is why he’s sleeping for so long.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
3 months?? I wish I would’ve asked sooner. You helped me with his lighting and cage it’s all good and up to date he also has a pretty new uvb bulb. I’m not sure what the difference is between semi brumation or deep sleep but I can try to explain how he’s behaving. So the first 3 months he was in his hide barely moved throughout the 3 months besides when I would take him out to weigh him and then he would get some heat and go back to sleep. After 3 months he started shifting positions in the hide every other day and if I would peek in he would wake up and open his eyes a bit which means hes prob not in as deep of a sleep as he was the first 3 months. Just gonna add this in… before he went to sleep he was losing an unhealthy amount of weight so I brought him to the vet and they took a stool sample and found parasites. They gave me medication and I gave him his last dose a few days before he went into his sleep. I’m assuming the medication took care of the parasites but just mentioning it just in case there’s a possibility that this is why he’s sleeping for so long.
Yes get him out and feed him some canned pumpkin w/ a drop or two of olive oil - this will make him go to the bath room -- w/ him losing weight and being lethargic I am thinking the parasites are still there --- collect that poop and take it in for testing - they usually test once meds are done to see if counts are lower and a good level --

Dansmity4

Hatchling Dragon
Yes get him out and feed him some canned pumpkin w/ a drop or two of olive oil - this will make him go to the bath room -- w/ him losing weight and being lethargic I am thinking the parasites are still there --- collect that poop and take it in for testing - they usually test once meds are done to see if counts are lower and a good level --
Ok thanx for the advice I’ll def do that right away!

Latest posts