• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discoids, What Are They Like As Feeders?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pretty much what the title says, I'm curious as to what they are like to keep for feeders. Do they breed fast like the turks or are they slow like dubias? And any other information you are willing to share. I know their basic size, that they are live bearers and the don't climb or fly.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
they're not too bad. My dragons don't care for them tho. they prefer dubias, and the gex won't eat them at all in my house. They're slower to multiply than turks, and if you mess with them, they won't bear the young nymphs. As far as hunting them goes, their size and pace make them a good feeder with a good meat/shell ratio. Keep em about the same way, my liked it a little warmer, and not quite so moist.
they seemed to have more smell than my dubias tho

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thanx for the info gina...im roach shopping and they are out of turks...honestly the lobsters scare me for some reason and i think the dubias are going to breed to slowly for my gang

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I had a discoid colony before i did Dubias. Unfortunately my dragons wouldnt touch them. Im not sure why but they literally hated the discoids lol. Slower at breeding but other than that they are pretty much the same as a dubia.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok i guess this is a bit off topic but in comparison to turks how much slower do dubia's breed?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the dubias will set up a good colony in a relatively short amount of time, if you give them awhile to grow and multiply.
Contact our dear sweet Janie and see if she has a few hundred to ship for a decent price. She just might.
Personally, I don't like lobsters. They'll cross breed with dubias and you'll have a climbing stinking roach with wings. *shudder* Not to mention they bite.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yea i was never a fan of lobsters and i dont think ill ever be brave enough to try em

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
turks breed much faster than Dubia but there is the ICK factor that comes with turks (in my opinion anyway) i only keep them as a necessary evil cause they are better than crix to me lol.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
where my turks arrived ready to lay out casings, the dubias took about 2 weeks to show any sign of nymphs. At about 3 months, I had hundreds breeding, and now thousands.

Why is it only reptile people get excited about having thousands of roaches? My mother would so just roll over and die.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
Personally, I don't like lobsters. They'll cross breed with dubias and you'll have a climbing stinking roach with wings. *shudder* Not to mention they bite.

do what :eek:
i never heard that
thats some freaky shiite

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
where my turks arrived ready to lay out casings, the dubias took about 2 weeks to show any sign of nymphs. At about 3 months, I had hundreds breeding, and now thousands.

Why is it only reptile people get excited about having thousands of roaches? My mother would so just roll over and die.
haha you have no idea how many wtf looks i got from friends, family and random people who heard me happily talking about my thousands of roaches

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
ladyknite said:

haha you have no idea how many wtf looks i got from friends, family and random people who heard me happily talking about my thousands of roaches

i have friends that refuse to enter my home because they know i have roaches that are in my home on purpose (friends wives that are slight insect-ophobic lol)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brian,
just stay away from anything roachy that says HYBRID.

LOL Candice..........I get the same kinda looks. Roaches, worms of different kinds, crickets, rodents, ants, fruit flies..............they think I've completely lost my noggin. It's not lost.........just mis placed.

I understand about people not entering your house. Why do you think i keep these things.............some people shouldn't just "drop by" lol

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
haha my fiance's best friend whos a guy walked into the house while i was giving frank roaches and he saw...he screamed like a little girl and ran out

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
Brian,
just stay away from anything roachy that says HYBRID.

LOL Candice..........I get the same kinda looks. Roaches, worms of different kinds, crickets, rodents, ants, fruit flies..............they think I've completely lost my noggin. It's not lost.........just mis placed.

I understand about people not entering your house. Why do you think i keep these things.............some people shouldn't just "drop by" lol

lol
gina as social as you are with all of us and as nice to me and kristin as you were in person i couldnt imagine you being antisocial

and i have to say i have never seen a hybrid roach ??? lol but ill deffinately keep an eye out.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
aaronpauling.com has hybrids for sale i think or was that the other site i was on ???

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I forget who was selling them last year. ewwwwwww god, somebody sent us some. They'd ordered dubias, and got this glass climbing thing they couldn't identify.
they were larger than both in some distinctions, but not huge. They climbed glass, and could fly somewhat. And they smelled. man did they smell. Two cans of RAID later.....................no more hybrids. There wasn't a thing that would eat them other than the Savannah. And he'd eat the leg off the cow if you let him.

LOL......good one Brian. I like to meet people, but I'm not social. It's a thang. ya know.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
I forget who was selling them last year. ewwwwwww god, somebody sent us some. They'd ordered dubias, and got this glass climbing thing they couldn't identify.
they were larger than both in some distinctions, but not huge. They climbed glass, and could fly somewhat. And they smelled. man did they smell. Two cans of RAID later.....................no more hybrids. There wasn't a thing that would eat them other than the Savannah. And he'd eat the leg off the cow if you let him.

LOL......good one Brian. I like to meet people, but I'm not social. It's a thang. ya know.
ewww thats horrible. as if roaches aint creepy enough.

and i like ya no matter if you are social or not (myself and the wife tend on the anti social side)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ya ain't so bad yerself. For somebody that likes creepy crawly scaley things and keeps bugs, that is. lol
j/k

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
ya ain't so bad yerself. For somebody that likes creepy crawly scaley things and keeps bugs, that is. lol
j/k

;)
us wierdos gotta stick together lol. i tell folks i work with stories that i think are funny like the hole incident with the turks having somehow gotten into my dubia tank or bella trying to bite me cause i woke her up for a soak and they think im crazy but yall think im hilarious lol. goes to show herpers are their own breed of people.

Latest posts