• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

diet

StaceybondgirL

Bearded Dragon Egg
bit confused as to what lettice to feed mt beardie
kale a choy is this ok???
also ive gave it a lil bit of tomatoe cucumber and carrot
also how ofen to i feed it live
sorry just new to this onky got it on saturday :)
any help would b great xx

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Use this: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Lettuce, kale, and tomatoes are not good staple veggies. Look for green-colored items on the list and offer those every day. Black-colored items can be offered as occasional treats. I don't feed my dragon anything on the blue or lower list. I would also recommend reading the care sheet on bearded dragons to ensure you have the enclosure and lights set up correctly.

Zaiden07

Juvenile Dragon
Kale actually is good as it is a laxative. But giving too much can stop Vitamin A absorption.

As babies, Beardies will eat more live bugs than vegetables but when they become adults their primary diet will be veggies with the occasional live bug.

You can find a list of what fruits and veggies your beardie can eat on google.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Augie posted the food BIBLE a lot of us follow. You can't go wrong with dark leafy greens, collard greens, mustard greens, and especially dandelion greens are very nutritious. I personally have always stayed away from the tomato fruit since tomato leaves are poisonous. Also, hornworms that eat tomato leaves are poisonous.

StaceybondgirL

Bearded Dragon Egg
thank you ill use link...i just dont wanna make it poorly :)
how often a day do i feed it live and on average how many locus does it eat a day???

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You always want to offer fresh salad. Even if you think he's not eating it you should offer it. As far as live bugs, the general rule is as many as they will eat in 15 minutes! Juvenile's should be fed at least 2x a day 3x would be best. They are all different in how many they eat. When my oldest one was little she would eat 15-20 small crickets 3 times a day! My new baby eats 10-15 small crickets 2 times a day. You also want to make sure the insect you are feeding them is no bigger than the space between their eyes.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Is that the list that is in a grid form got bananas and apples on there?

Yes, that list has apples and bananas on it but if you look bananas are a "feed rarely" food and apples are a "feed occasionally" food. Apples and unsweetened applesauce are good to help get things flowing so to say! It's good to give a variety of food because the minute you find something they like, the will change their mind and want something else! Also good to make things colorful, sometimes beardies have a preference for what color of food they eat. For example, when Dexter was younger she went through an all green phase I could give her dandelion greens that were all green but if I tried to give her dandelion leaves that had red veins in it she would refuse to eat it! It went through phases, one week she would only eat red, one week orange, etc.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Ive never given either of mine bananas or apples i may try them with banana ... My male did eat greens other day left his fruit the female not eating nothing she gets strawberries and blueberries and butternut squash usually she eats it all i vary their fruit with mango papaya strawberries blueberries then give them butternut squash kale sometimes rocket collard greens ive heard parsley is good for them is that true?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Parsley is a feed rarely item. Other herbs are good for them too. I have a mint garden and sometimes will give them mint, and lemon balm. Kale is good occasionally and squash and collards are def a good staple. Not sure about rocket but if it's dark green, I'm sure it's got lots of good stuff in it. My girls usually get collards and another green like dandelion as the base of their salad then the rest is up for grabs. This week it's sweet potato, celery, and red pepper. Dexter doesn't eat much of her salad but she loves fruit which I give her a few times a week. Blueberries are her favorite, along with strawberries, watermelon, papaya. Raspberries are good too.

One thing to keep in mind, babies might have problems digesting seeds so be careful with berries, even blueberries have small seeds in them. When Dexter was small I used to peel her strawberries so she didn't get the seeds.

StaceybondgirL

Bearded Dragon Egg
thanks for help guys :) ginna put some salad in viv now...so many people all saying different things just getting bit confussed lol xx

maxxdout

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It is very confusing with the mixed info swimming around out there. Mine is really small still, and has zero interest in his veggies (typical kid) :)...but I offer them anyway daily

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Parsley is a feed rarely item. Other herbs are good for them too. I have a mint garden and sometimes will give them mint, and lemon balm. Kale is good occasionally and squash and collards are def a good staple. Not sure about rocket but if it's dark green, I'm sure it's got lots of good stuff in it. My girls usually get collards and another green like dandelion as the base of their salad then the rest is up for grabs. This week it's sweet potato, celery, and red pepper. Dexter doesn't eat much of her salad but she loves fruit which I give her a few times a week. Blueberries are her favorite, along with strawberries, watermelon, papaya. Raspberries are good too.

One thing to keep in mind, babies might have problems digesting seeds so be careful with berries, even blueberries have small seeds in them. When Dexter was small I used to peel her strawberries so she didn't get the seeds.
rocket that they do is a dark green as some rocket ive seen has quite the light colour to eat my two are fine for strawberries now as their sizes are big enough to handle certain fruits gota be careful of my fingers tho when cutting up their fruit. Butternutsquash is the only squash i can find what other squash's r good for them?

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
It is very confusing with the mixed info swimming around out there. Mine is really small still, and has zero interest in his veggies (typical kid) :)...but I offer them anyway daily
When their smaller they will tend to eat more bugs than greens and fruit/veg but that changes when they get older then they have more greens fruit/veg but u have to balance that out for them as they get older

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Butternut squash is the best but I've given all sorts of squash, yellow zucchini, spaghetti, green zucchini. I hear you about watching your fingers with the fruit. I have a different problem though. Dexter's mouth is so big that she is able to eat a full blueberry or raspberry on her own, it's when I try to feed her a slice of something that I have to watch my fingers! She bit me so hard once it felt like a door slammed on my finger!

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Butternut squash is the best but I've given all sorts of squash, yellow zucchini, spaghetti, green zucchini. I hear you about watching your fingers with the fruit. I have a different problem though. Dexter's mouth is so big that she is able to eat a full blueberry or raspberry on her own, it's when I try to feed her a slice of something that I have to watch my fingers! She bit me so hard once it felt like a door slammed on my finger!
I just slice my blueberries in half but in fairness they probably could eat them whole but i dnt want to risk it i did get caught once by stumps and b.nut squash hand feeding her hehe my own fault reqlly didnt have enuf on my finger to cushion it ... They do have quite the bite on them though dont they

Latest posts