• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diet beyond crickets

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you have any advice on storing them and gut loading them so I can get the most out of them please let me know
like in last comment i put a carrot in there or some leftover greens from Izzy's salad like the stems... but be careful on increasing the humidity in the container as mold and the like will kill them off or cause little bugs..
When I give them to Izzy I feed her bugs in a glass flat bottom bowl in her tank I'll put her roaches, supers, and some of the greens for her and them to eat..

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
Okay understood. I only have 25 so I'm sure he will eat them quickly. How many do you think he will eat? I will order dubia when it's warmer

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
PatsyB raises supers so she may have better advice on the foods she gives.. they will eat just about anything the leafy greens are likely the best..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay understood. I only have 25 so I'm sure he will eat them quickly. How many do you think he will eat? I will order dubia when it's warmer
just give him 1 and see how he does, then go off that.. Izzy will sometimes only eat a few then other days she'll eat as many as I would put down if she had her way.... lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brandon sixofwands sells dubia's here on the forum that's who I got my last colony from.. check him out on the for sale section.

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
Okay thanks! I just cleaned his tank so I'm letting him warm up and then I'll give him one

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay thanks! I just cleaned his tank so I'm letting him warm up and then I'll give him one
just make sure you are not feeding too close to bedtime for them... you should stop feedings a couple of hours before lights out so they can properly digest. Remember they need heat to digest

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just coming on to this, took kitty to the groomer and then took a long nap!
You can put your supers a glade ware bowl with some wheat bran or oatmeal for substrate and feed them the same salad items you would give Sosa. Just poke holes in the top for ventilation. Beardies have pretty strong jaws. I was giving Luci large ones at 6 months and he would bite them into pieces and then eat the pieces he dropped.
Don't freak out though. Sometimes when they start eating supers it takes a few days to poop. Make sure you temps are spot on so that they can digest them.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The weather is the reason I order in bulk. When Dexter was a year, we ran out of crickets, it was below zero and none of the stores had them in stock. They were getting shipments DOA and what they could salvage they needed for the store animals. That's when I started using supers as a staple. The first heat wave, 35 degrees and up, I ordered THOUSANDS of supers and crickets! I keep then in breeder tanks with metal lids supers last 4-5 months and crickets about a month before they all get eaten!

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
Are superworms safe? Should I cut them up? I just fed one to him and he tried to eat it and he gave up because it looked like it kept trying to hurt him? Bite him or something? If I cut it up will it still move?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They are creepy looking but super worms are completely safe. They will chew them real good and their stomach acid will digest them. If you cut them up their top half may still move for a little bit but that is it. I wouldn't want to cut them, I wouldn't even know how to do that LOL!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
What size did you get? If you got the large they might be too big for him.

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
I told them that I wanted the smallest worms they have and that's what they gave me. They're about as long as the top cap of a standard sharpie

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Are superworms safe? Should I cut them up? I just fed one to him and he tried to eat it and he gave up because it looked like it kept trying to hurt him? Bite him or something? If I cut it up will it still move?
It's a new item give him a bit and keep trying he'll get it

Tessa

Juvenile Dragon
UPDATE
The first day I gave him one he totally went after it but kind of got into a wrestling match with it. He never actually ate it and now he's not interested in them anymore. Right now I put some peppers in a bowl and put the superworms in there and maybe he will try them again but it doesn't seem likely.

Latest posts