• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did I Just Infect My Beardie w/ Giardia?

mrbeardface

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all,

Just got a new baby beardie 6 days ago. My old beardie died a month prior from aggressive cancer and had giardia too (one cyst survived her treatment and then since she was going into surgery we decided not to treat it again). I removed everything from the tank, cleaned it thoroughly with quaternary disinfectant, then went back later to wipe the residue off with water and dry it. I then bought all new stuff for the enclosure. Then I did it all again the next day to be thorough :D

Here is where I fucked up. I totally spaced on disinfecting my bottle of chlorhexidine. I keep it in the bathroom next to the sink where I would bathe my old beardie. So it totally couldve gotten splashed while bathing her. Unsure if it did though. So its been sitting there untouched for a month.

I realized I didnt disinfect it and decided to just use one hand to touch the bottle and pour the chlorhexidine onto my paper towel and the other hand to clean the enclosure. This worked until today. Then, I accidentally put the dry paper towel in the same hand that touched the chlorhexidine bottle and proceeded to use it to clean the poop in the enclosure. Then I followed it with the chlorhexidine paper towel from my "clean" hand.

I was gonna go back and clean with bleach or quats but I cant handle him yet cuz hes still getting settled and didnt want any fumes near him or to risk him touching quats. Plus, while I was pondering this he got off his perch and moved around the enclosure anyway.

Everything online says Giardia can survive for weeks or months (mainly in cold water) but nothing really about in room temps. Did I just infect my new beardie w/ Giardia or am I worrying about nothing? UGH! Whyyy didn't I just clean that damn bottle Y.Y spent so long making sure EVERYTHING else was completely clean.

Trying to use "radical acceptance" to convince myself it is out of my control at this point so no point in worrying. Cant even take him to the vet til he gets settled anyway and wouldnt know for awhile if he had Giardia. Even so I wanted other ppls thoughts on this - like how crazy am I being if at all?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all,

Just got a new baby beardie 6 days ago. My old beardie died a month prior from aggressive cancer and had giardia too (one cyst survived her treatment and then since she was going into surgery we decided not to treat it again). I removed everything from the tank, cleaned it thoroughly with quaternary disinfectant, then went back later to wipe the residue off with water and dry it. I then bought all new stuff for the enclosure. Then I did it all again the next day to be thorough :D

Here is where I fucked up. I totally spaced on disinfecting my bottle of chlorhexidine. I keep it in the bathroom next to the sink where I would bathe my old beardie. So it totally couldve gotten splashed while bathing her. Unsure if it did though. So its been sitting there untouched for a month.

I realized I didnt disinfect it and decided to just use one hand to touch the bottle and pour the chlorhexidine onto my paper towel and the other hand to clean the enclosure. This worked until today. Then, I accidentally put the dry paper towel in the same hand that touched the chlorhexidine bottle and proceeded to use it to clean the poop in the enclosure. Then I followed it with the chlorhexidine paper towel from my "clean" hand.

I was gonna go back and clean with bleach or quats but I cant handle him yet cuz hes still getting settled and didnt want any fumes near him or to risk him touching quats. Plus, while I was pondering this he got off his perch and moved around the enclosure anyway.

Everything online says Giardia can survive for weeks or months (mainly in cold water) but nothing really about in room temps. Did I just infect my new beardie w/ Giardia or am I worrying about nothing? UGH! Whyyy didn't I just clean that damn bottle Y.Y spent so long making sure EVERYTHING else was completely clean.

Trying to use "radical acceptance" to convince myself it is out of my control at this point so no point in worrying. Cant even take him to the vet til he gets settled anyway and wouldnt know for awhile if he had Giardia. Even so I wanted other ppls thoughts on this - like how crazy am I being if at all?
I am no expert on this stuff - I know I use F 10 a vet disinfectant to clean my dragons tanks- I can ask to see if your cleaning was good enough -- I will get back w/ you

mrbeardface

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am no expert on this stuff - I know I use F 10 a vet disinfectant to clean my dragons tanks- I can ask to see if your cleaning was good enough -- I will get back w/ you
oo maybe ill get some of that for the future. hate using quats!

xp29

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use chlorhexidine as a disinfectant, it is a veterinarian grade cleaner also. A series of things would have had to occurred for you to infect your new dragon . The Giardai would have had to gotten on you and or in the water, then would have had to been rubbed or splashed onto the container, survived without ever coming in contact with the chlorhexidine in the container, gotten back on you, then the paper towel and then back into the habitat. It's unlikely imho. I would wipe the container down with the chlorhexidine though just because I'm anal like that.

Latest posts