• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Determing the sex of a bearded dragon.

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
Hello everyone. I could use a little help in clarifying the sex of my beardies. The pictures are two different dragons. Thanks in advance to those who respond. View attachment 8939View attachment 8939

-Will

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1403119662196.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403119662196.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 100
  • uploadfromtaptalk1403119671979.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1403119671979.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 100

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm stumped. If I were to guess, I would have thought 1 was the male and 2 was the female.

WalkingWithDragons

Hatchling Dragon
I'd also try the light sexing technique! I have mis-sexed some of my younger dragons who looked like females, but ended up being males who werent showing those hemipenal bulges yet. You just stick flashlight, or led pen behind the base of the tail. (Doing this is a dark room is best) And you can see the hemipenis (or lack of) to determine sex. I attached some photos showing the difference between males and females using the light technique.

Attachments

• a3y9evup.jpg
    a3y9evup.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 75
  • tumblr_mvq332YOPM1sapmq5o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mvq332YOPM1sapmq5o1_500.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 77

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
Well to the best of my ability... Picture 1 is female/not showing hemi and 2 is definitely a male.
Thanks for the help. Now I can name them ...

Persei8

Bearded Dragon Egg
Like Patsy said, I would think 1 is male and 2 is female. I could be wrong as I sexed ours wrong. Thought we had two males and a couple years later ended up with three eggs.

will_him_is

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks everyone for the responses. I took my beardies to a local reptile show and had a few experienced breeders and keepers look at them. Picture 1 is confirmed by 3 deifferent breeders as female and picture 2 is a male.

HlynnReid92

Hatchling Dragon
I'd also try the light sexing technique! I have mis-sexed some of my younger dragons who looked like females, but ended up being males who werent showing those hemipenal bulges yet. You just stick flashlight, or led pen behind the base of the tail. (Doing this is a dark room is best) And you can see the hemipenis (or lack of) to determine sex. I attached some photos showing the difference between males and females using the light technique.
I'm going to use this trick tomorrow on our beardie! My boyfriend and I have been arguing over Kevin's gender for weeks!! Lol

Latest posts