• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cutting vs file

beyourownspotlight

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys, as I'm sure everyone knows, beardies claws can be sharp as heck.
Beemos little claws, or rather the razor sharp ends were getting to the point she'd be able to accidentally hook her claws into my skin when clinging to me. I was just wondering what people put in their vivs to help their beardies keep their claws down 'naturally', like what kind of stone or slabs etc.
I just sat and trimmed her claws with clippers (don't worry she sat like a champ, and I didn't cut into her wee veins--
I'm used to cutting all sorts of claws, dogs, cats, rabbits, rats... admittedly this was the first time I'd cut a lizards claws), just to take the very edges off, and it worked wonders. I was also wondering what other peoples views on this are, if the general consensus is no claw cutting unless absolutely necessary, or if it's totally fine.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I trim mine but I don't have to do it very often. I have those wooden half hides in their tanks and clawing on that seems to help keep the nails filed down. In one of my tanks I also have a few pieces of ceramic tile that helps file the nails down.

My male glass dances all the time and when I had ceramic tile in his whole tank he filed his nails completely down to almost nothing so I took it out.

beyourownspotlight

Hatchling Dragon
I trim mine but I don't have to do it very often. I have those wooden half hides in their tanks and clawing on that seems to help keep the nails filed down. In one of my tanks I also have a few pieces of ceramic tile that helps file the nails down.

My male glass dances all the time and when I had ceramic tile in his whole tank he filed his nails completely down to almost nothing so I took it out.

I was considering going to a DIY shop and buying a wee tile or two to hopefully help her keep them down by herself, when your boy danced and filed his away to nothing was he distressed by it, or in pain? Obviously I don't have plans to allow Beemo to wear hers all the way down.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I was considering going to a DIY shop and buying a wee tile or two to hopefully help her keep them down by herself, when your boy danced and filed his away to nothing was he distressed by it, or in pain? Obviously I don't have plans to allow Beemo to wear hers all the way down.

He didn't really seem like he was in pain especially since he never stopped dancing around his tank! I was just worried that he would never have any nails ever so I took all the tile out and left a few pieces.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
when I got my girl she had long sharp nails. I used a nail file - she would only let me do one nail at a time, and not for very long. swipe in one direction. it can be a bonding experience. I held her, worked on a nail, held her, worked on another nail. while watching tv. in the evening - in the evening they tend to be winding down a bit so may provide less resistance. stop if he pulls away. its not a race

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have ceramic tile in both of their tanks, including wood, rock and I trim their nails as needed.. I trim them when they are asleep on my chest I will expose 1 foot at a time until done.. very rarely do they wake up or pull away..

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Precious has hard tile and a bark ramp but recently I found 2 of her nails that had me concerned. I thought I was going to have to take her to the vet to get them trimmed...I was too chicken to try it myself.
But my friend sent me a video of someone trimming her bearded's nails this way and suggested I get one...I am so happy I did!! None of my gang were scared of it, it was done quickly and I didn't have to worry about hurting them!:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ4BuEQlLQv/
After Precious was done was when I thought about getting it on video. She was equally as good...tilting her head every so often to watch what I was doing :)

Latest posts