• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crix vs. Dubias - switching diets for a baby and supplement questions

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We just got our baby boy - he's only 3 months old but is 15" and 175 grams. The breeder said he was eating about 75 crix per day. When I asked her about switching to Dubias, she said we would have to ease them into his diet. Is this accurate? I very much hate dealing with crickets and the possible parasite risks, but I will get them if it is what's best for him. Also, if he normally eats 75 crickets, how many dubias do you think we should expect him to eat? Maybe 30 or 40 small ones?

I have read he should have calcium every day and vitamins 4-5 times per week. Is this accurate? I know he is growing but it seems like a lot. I want him to grow BIG but don't want to hurt him with oversupplementation.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer!

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
roaches are about 2x the protein content of crix. at his age, even if he eats 75 roaches, it's all good.
there is some truth about easing one into roaches. But it doesn't apply to all of them. Some dragons dive right in and have no problem. Some develop loose stools due to the reduction of chitin in the roach.
normally side effects don't last.

Calcium 5 days, vitamins 2 days. He'll grow big and strong.

Latest posts