• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Couple of concerns

MisterEcho

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all. I have some concerns regarding our beardie. Recently he has been opening his mouth alot more often than usual, and right before he does, you can always tell, its like he has a difficult time swallowing a couple of times and then opens his mouth. His temp in his cage is where it is supposed to be btw. Also, he is spoiled being I hand feed him which I dont mind but all I can get him to eat anymore is banana. Thats his diet, and I know he needs more than that. I have put crickets in his cage and he doesnt eat them. He used to eat the meal worms but stopped them also. I want to get more greens in him but Im not an expert on beardies. Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you have any other concerns, Misterecho, just air them here. We can work through most issues handily !
Janie

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You are right, banana as a staple is no good. Mealworms should also be avoided. They have a thick outer coat that is difficult for beardies to break down and digest properly.

If crickets are an issue, try phoenix worms. A lot of my forum members use roaches too.

For the greens, try putting a mound of veggies (squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, peppers, etc.) and then put the green on top. Try different greens - collard greens, broccoli leaves, mustard greens, parsley, etc.

Also, what UV lighting are you using? And what are the hot and cool side temps? These things take a role on beardies being hungry and eating and digesting.....

Latest posts