• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Could this harm Draco?

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
I just bought some crickets in bulk and I noticed when I was putting them away that there was a long black bug crawling around in there with him. I think it was a millipede but I don't know my bugs so I'm not 100% on that. I thought I got them all out but as I was feeding Draco today I noticed one in his tank. I couldn't get to it fast enough and he gobbled it up... I know fire flies are toxic to them but what about millipedes?

sircactuscat

Juvenile Dragon
Yes it's fine. It's just the larvae/caterpillar of the cricket which then molt into the cricket! Though it is preferred to feed him just the crickets it's doesn't matter if he accidentally eats one or two. :)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Those are actually cleaner crews, I believe they are called Isopods if I remember correctly. :) Sellers usually have them in their cricket cages, and sometimes they escape with some crickets when you buy them. Some dubia roach owners also use them in their bins because they will eat the dead roaches and frass (roach poop). Eventually they turn into beetles, so you may see those as well from time to time.

It won't hurt your dragon. The same thing has happened to me where Reggie eats one that mistakenly falls in there. I try to prevent it since technically those things eat nasty stuff. :D

ashley7988

Juvenile Dragon
Oh thank God... my heard sank a little when I saw one fall in there... It was just one, now I'm going to thoroughly search and be ready to grab one before Draco gets it if I need to. They are ugly little things, I'm glad that they aren't toxic! Thanks guys now I'll be able to sleep tonight!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I love those cleaner bugs. I don't care if I've got many of them in my cricket tank. They actually clean the cricket tank so I don't have to worry about the smell of crickets permeating everywhere in my room. The larve or catepillars turn into small beetles which also do the same thing. I call them the cleaners. As long as I have cleaners in there, my tank's are cleaner, and my crickets are healthier.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Now thats funny!!!
Yes it's fine. It's just the larvae/caterpillar of the cricket which then molt into the cricket! Though it is preferred to feed him just the crickets it's doesn't matter if he accidentally eats one or two. :)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it's fine. It's just the larvae/caterpillar of the cricket which then molt into the cricket!
:eek: OMG!! You mean genetically altered hybrid mutant crickets are now a reality?? The work no doubt of some evil mad scientist!
I had my suspicions some time ago when I first saw them Cadbury commercials with the Easter Bunny layin those delicious, velvety smooth and additive chocolate eggs but now apparently there is proof of such abominations:eek::D:p;)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
U know where I can get some of these cleaner bugs for my colony

First try your local pet store. I bet if you asked them they would sell you some or give you some for free if you bought some crickets. That would be the quickest and easiest way I would think.

If that isn't an option I know that Small Pet Feeders carries them. If you look under pet food there is a cleaner crew section. They are labeled as dermestid beetles. I've used the company in the past about a year ago and they were great. Fast communication and delivery. Very professional too.

Other than that, I know awhile back there was a kid on eBay selling them. Good luck. :)

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
They for the info. That's funny. After I asked that I googled it and found that same site ur talking about. I'm thinking about getting some to help keep my colony clean. I never even knew about these guys. So Ty y'all for bringing them up

Latest posts