• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coughing/Gagging

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Okay so I noticed my 4month beardie was, gagging? I researched on internet and it doesnt seems like she coughing from an infetcion. but im really concerned. She started doing it in the morning after i fed her so it could be her having in her throat. but its been 5 hours and she still does it from time to time. She doesnt do it like 30 seconds, she gags/coughs about 1-4 times and then there´s a really big break. I saw it 3 times in 45 minutes so i am still not sure, i didnt see it happen before. She also puufs her beard a bit more often aw well as doing it while gagging.
Also she closes one eye, and i know it can be various things. Its not in a way that she wouldnt want to open her eye, and she does it only when on her basking spot, so i think it is her resting her eye? if thats possible?
she is still eating and quite lively, but I wasnt supposed to be home for 2 days starting tomorrow and now I dont want to leave her in case something happens or she starts doing it more, she is fine outside of these two things

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Okay so i tried to record her gagging but she only did a little bit and while i was trying to record her gagging around 5-7 minutes, she started having her mouth open, she had her mouth open for 3 minutes straight, im starting to be really concerned.

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
now it looks more like coughing than gagging, she doesnt open her mouth as much now.. she does it like.. 2 times and then a few minute break

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, she got better, she doesnt cough nearly as much as she did and when she does, it is really faint, but we are still taking her to see the vet in case anything is wrong and we´ll see later.

Ricsanity'

Bearded Dragon Egg
I feel like having the mouth open is just "gaping". Trying to regulate heat under the basking spot.

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
we are going to the vet in a few minutes, but if anyone has other opinions or something to say please help.. its the 2nd day..
she is still eating okay, no bubbles or anything, only the cough..

Munchie93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mine just started doing this also. I’ve had him for almost 3 months. About the same size as yours. It is doing the exact same thing. It kind of looks like it gagging trying to vomit his food back up he just ate. I thought it may have been hiccuping for it to grow. What did the vet say? Was it anything to worry about?

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Mine just started doing this also. I’ve had him for almost 3 months. About the same size as yours. It is doing the exact same thing. It kind of looks like it gagging trying to vomit his food back up he just ate. I thought it may have been hiccuping for it to grow. What did the vet say? Was it anything to worry about?
Sadly vets in my city can't take care of lizards/reptiles. But ill be calling one who can tommorow And making an appointment most likely for tuesday, monday Is a Holiday So everything Is closed. Ill post on here after that.

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi! To anyone that’s curious about the “gagging” it’s actually a normal behaviour for them especially if they are puffing their beard out while it happens. My beardies do it all the time for different reasons. My old girl does it to catch her breath sometimes because her lungs aren’t as young as she thinks they are as well as to regulate her body temperature and expel heat out faster. My other beardie does that daily, every morning to be exact and he mainly does to stretch his beard out. The mouth gaping for long periods of time is to just regulate their body temperature. When their body temperature gets too high they open their mouth to let some of the heat out to lower it. Hope I was able to help

Munchie93

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes gaping they hold their mouth open for a few minutes. But this looks like they are gagging. Kinda like hiccups. They do it real briefly and it looks like they want to throw up. While doing it mine like pulls his head back like he wants to vomit but nothing comes up.

DeeAnn

Bearded Dragon Egg
Our beardies never did that coughing/gagging/ hiccuping behavior. When they’re young, they do like basking in warmer temps (I think 109 degrees?) and the only time I’d say mouth gaping is ok is when they’re real hot as to regulate body temp. After having 2 beardies for 5 1/2 years I’ve learned that young beardies are very susceptible to disease. Do some research on housing set up to be sure you have what they require/ need, their diet restrictions and locating a local exotic vet. I found ours at a Bird Hospital and he’s good.

Myshelinka

Hatchling Dragon
Hey everyone, She stopped doing it on her own, Somebody suggested that She Is probably just stretching her beard, And i think that was the case, She Is completely fine, actually even more lively, So, for everyone with a beardie that does the Same thing... Dont panic, you can take your beardie to a vet if you dont want to Wait, but otherwise, Wait a little, to see if it gets worse And to see how bad it Is, record him while Hes doing it And share it here oř other forums, compare it with other videos on the internet, check your temps, check if Hes shedding. Make sure Hes eating, And isnt too lazy, doesnt bask the whole day And such. Have a great day And thank you all for your suggestions.

Latest posts