• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Constantly glass surfing...

Julie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my new baby for two days now, and he/she is constantly up on the glass.... even now, at 5:30am, lights are off, and I see him up on the glass.... did he sleep all night like that? Is he stressed? Is he scared? What can I do to make him feel better? My other one has never done that (they are about the same age)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Are your dragons able to see each other?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Julie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes. But he came from a tank that had five babies in it… They are both just little babies…

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Housing bearded dragons together is a big taboo, and one item on a long list that pet stores handle incorrectly. I'd cover three sides of their enclosures so they can't see each other. I do this in my own enclosures, and notice that all of my dragons are relaxed and show no signs of stress when they can't see each other. Bearded dragons can be very territorial.

Julie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
Even with babies?
Thank you for the advice though! I appreciate it very much! I hate seeing him so stressed. He doesn't move. Just stands straight up to the glass.....

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Even with babies, some are more territorial than others. My little Mushu has been territorial since I brought him home at about 5 inches long. The little baby we have now just runs and hides. If you block their view of each other, you should see a difference in behavior.

We can also discuss temps and lighting if you'd like, to make sure everything is on point and nothing is causing your little ones additional stress.

Julie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
Aww... I didn't know. I will go get him his own set up today as soon as I get home. But I will take any and all advice you have!!!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Are they currently housed together? What size enclosure(s) are you working with.

For babies and younger dragons, we want to set up a basking spot of about 105F, a hot side in the mid 90s, and a cool side in the mid to low 80s. It seems this gradient is easiest to achieve in a 40 gallon, anything smaller gets too warm throughout.

UVB is also super important. You want a fluorescent tube style UVB bulb, not one of the coils that pet stores often try to sell you. The coils are condensed to a small area and can cause damage to your beardies eyes long term. Most of us go with the reptisun 10.0 bulb. There are two bulb types: t8 and t5ho. The t8 is great for mounting inside enclosures, and the t5ho bulb is a higher output bulb that filters more effectively through screen tops than the t8.

Why is UVB so important? It allows our dragons to synthesize vitamin D3, which allows them to utilize calcium to keep their bones healthy and strong. Without UVB, dragons (especially young dragons) can quickly become calcium deficient and suffer medical issues such as metabolic bone disease.

If you know how to post pictures, a photo of your enclosure can help us dial in on potential issues and help you get everything running perfectly. That way you can get everything in one trip after you get home today :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Eavlynn has given some great advise. Your baby is also going through a settling in phase, getting used to his new home. Covering the sides of the tank will help make him feel more secure and help him get used to his new home

Julie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, they are together and are in a 55 gal currently...

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd pick up a 40 gallon for your new baby, and get it all set up. I think you'll see a big improvement in their behavior once they have their own properly set up enclosures and can look longer see each other. Unfortunately, I don't think any retailers are running the dollar per gallon sale currently, but I'd call around just to be sure.

Julie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
Already planned on it! :) I was thinking of a 55 gallon, but if you think of 40 would be better, I will go that route… I should be finished and home about 530 or six and will go then. :) Thank you so much for everything! I'm sure I will be back with 1000 more questions before it's over! :)

Julie2

Bearded Dragon Egg
The original baby doesn't seem to be affected at all by the new ones presence… But the new one is constantly standing up to the glass. And hasn't been eating.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fire away with any and all questions you have. We're happy to help in whatever way we can :)

The new baby is probably super stressed, new home, new tank, strange dragon for a roommate, that's a lot of change all at once. His/her appetite will pick up shortly once their housing situation is all worked out.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Remember with bearded dragons, tank size is all about the floor space not how many gallons. 55 gallons sounds bigger than a 40 gallon but the floor size is completely wrong. A 55 gallon is only 13" wide meaning that an adult dragon is going to be cramped in that tank because it won't be easy to turn around.

I usually say that a tank should be 2x as long as an average adult dragon. Average adults are around 18". Width wise and height wise it should be as wide and tall as an average adult dragon. That is why the 40 gallon is the recommended minimum size for an adult.

Latest posts