• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Color Type??

frank1011

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Everyone!

Doing all this bearded dragon research I've seen so many different variations in dragon type and color/pattern. I think Frank is just your garden variety BD (fine by us!) but I thought I'd post pics to get some opinions. He seems to be almost a camo colored guy. Brownish/tannish/grayish, sometimes greenish with some dark orange thrown in.
He seems a bit darker than other bearded I've seen. And his markings look cool - maybe Tiger? He was an adoption due to a missing foot so we really didn't get much info about him. No matter what he is, he is adorable :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410541695.712629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410541709.428398.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410541722.962101.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410541733.728697.jpg

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The nails if I am not mistaken are clear. That happens in hypo and trans but the eyes are not black so we can rule out trans. Now you must also remember that with baby dragons the colors can be way different than what the adult will look like. Also with hypo sometimes they can be born dark but lose those pigments. The strange coloring you see may be that in process.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hypo means lacking in black pigment. If all his nails are clear than he is a hypo. The dark color that looks black is actually a periwinkle or grayish color.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If there is a dark line then he isn't a hypo.

Thank you! Dexter just changed color dramatically with each shed. I get disappointed with my other dragon, when he sheds he doesn't look any different. The size difference in the pictures is amazing too. The first picture she was only about 5 grams and the second picture, she is over a pound!

DanielE

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Agreed if there is color in the nails he is not hypo and I wad mistaken. In either case dragons come in a rainbow of colors and I thinks its interesting to see how they turn out.

frank1011

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hard to tell for sure since his nails are so tiny! I love genetics and looking at all the different versions. Such cool looking creatures

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
WOW I cant believe the change that is weird

She's very chameleon like! Sometimes she's a real dark orange, most of the time she is yellow. Her tail is a lot lighter than the rest of her body. When she goes outside she gets real dark again like when she was a baby.

Latest posts