• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Closed eyes

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
62D9CE35-7B68-4533-8B07-87FACCE8C7F5.jpeg Hi guys I am a beginner with beardies. I picked up my first one as a baby last Thursday (the 2nd) the first couple of days I could tell he was stressed I think he still is but he has only eaten twice in the time I have had him and my most biggest concern is he keeps his eyes are shut constantly in the past few days. I have him a basking spot at 107f and a cooling area around 75-80. He also has a tube reptisun UVB light. I have tried feeding crickets, mealworms, strawberries, banana, cucumber, the food the store I got him from fed him, and Dubia roaches. He will sometimes move around but usually his eyes are completely shut. I have looked around and he doesn’t seem to have anything in his eyes. There is no sand or anything like that in his tank either.

Attachments

• D98D682F-5400-495B-8298-1ACBEC8E6C08.jpeg
    D98D682F-5400-495B-8298-1ACBEC8E6C08.jpeg
    947.6 KB · Views: 89

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
Where is the UVB ? and what bulb are you using the T 5 or the T 8 --- improper distance will cause them to shut their eyes if the bulb is too close for the strength---
It is a 10.0 UVB 13 watt reptisun mini compact fluorescent for small desert terrariums. I keep it on the lid of his tank to the right (his basking area is on the left) however it’s only a ten gallon tank which is very temporary I’m planning on getting a 55 gallon very soon. He is very small I got that uvb cause it said it’s for the tank from that size to 20 gallon. When he gets his bigger tank I am planning on getting him one of the long tube ones.

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
ok good cuz I was gonna say that is the issue -- you can change your UVB now -- just use the fixture on the 10 gallon I can help you set it up --- you can order a fixture from here it will come w/ a 5.0 bulb which would be good for the 10 gallon not as strong as bulb -- then when you move him into the 55 gallon change the bulb to the 10.0 -- www.pangeareptiles.com these people are fast and good --- you want a 24" fixture w/ the Reptisun bulb --- the one fixture comes w/ the 5.0 bulb --- that fixture would be good for your 55 gallon ---
So I should change his 10.0 UVB to 5.0 UVB while he is in the 10 gallon? Do you think that is the issue of why he isn’t eating and has the eye issues?

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to ditch this all together 10.0 UVB 13 watt reptisun mini compact fluorescent -- this is the causing the eye issues and the not eating!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the website I am sending you to is for a 24" fixture w/ the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it -- its the Zoo Med fixture go look and it comes w/ a Reptisun 5.0 bulb which would be good for the 10 gallon tank for now --- but that tank needs to be replaced w/ the 55 ASAP --- the 5.0 bulb can be used in the 55 gallon but you need to have it in the tank and approx 8-10 inches from basking decor when you move it into the 55 gallon --- for now the 24" fixture can sit on top of the 10 gallon tank w/ a NO Screen and appox 8-10 inches from basking decor
Is it the Zoo med 24” reptisun T5 ho terrarium fixture? (https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html) I want to make sure I’m getting the right one. Also what should I do for him while this is being delivered since it may take a bit?

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes that is the correct one and when you get your 55 gallon you can continue to use the 5.0 for 6 months then change it out to the 10.0 and you will need to change the distance at that time as you are going to a stronger bulb -- w/ the 10.0 that distance would change to 12-15 inches from basking decor inside the tank --- for now if its warm where you are 65+ degrees take him outside in a plastic tote NO glass set him in direct sunlight for 15 minutes --- that will equal out to 4 hrs of UVB ---
I will order that one ASAP. It is only 61 degrees out here but it is sunny. Is there any other way for him to get what he needs until the light comes so he will start feeling better?

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
The direct sunlight will help immensely-- bring him out let him sit in that direct sunlight and see how he acts but since it only 61 15 minutes tops and do that each day if your weather holds out --
I could also bring a basking light out as well and watch the temperature for him while he is out would that help or should I just bring him?

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just him ---- he needs the UVB he can bask under his basking light in his tank --- watch for birds they might scare him as they are predators but he should enjoy the sunlight --
Alright I will do this until he gets his new UVB I believe storms might come so would the one I have be okay to use as a backup if I distanced it? Do you have any suggestions on what basking light I should use as well? I have the zoo med 75watt but sometimes that will only get his basking spot to only 80. I have a zoo med 100w cause petsmart had a buy one get one 50% off I figured I’d get it for when he gets a bigger tank that would be way too big for his 10 gallon even if I distanced it right since the 75 watt isn’t getting warn enough? I have a 100watt heat emitter as well for the bigger tank.

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
That 75 watt for a 10 gallon should be plenty- you need a digital probe to get an accurate temp- that probe needs to be placed on the spot he sits for basking for 10 minutes---- 100 watt in a 10 gallon your gonna burn him up- go get a digital probe and get your temp you will use them in your bigger tank - they are around $6
I have a digital probe that I placed on his basking spot. It only got up 85 there with the 75 watt. I will try again and see if it does differently it might be the bulb

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
Take pic of the tank and post it so I can see the UVB and basking bulb
The black light holder is his basking and the silver one had the UVB but I turned it off since it’s causing the problems and let him get natural sun

Attachments

• 22DF7127-1843-4DF0-8E93-DB03A4E43B76.jpeg
    22DF7127-1843-4DF0-8E93-DB03A4E43B76.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 91

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok I see where hes sitting what is the temp where he is at ? The UVB is fine off -- that natural sunlight is gonna be better for him anyways--- see if he starts to open his eyes up more now -- it is common for them to shut their eyes when basking under their heat light -- it is them relaxing -- but not to keep them closed oh please get rid of the pellets --- that stuff is no good ---------------- you want to feed him fresh salads every day -- go to this website it will tell you what to feed what not to feed and how often to feed -- ignore the kale thing its a good staple -- variety is key ---
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I am wondering if the bulb is old and your not getting full potential out of it ---- I would get another 75 watt to see if it is the bulb --- it makes no sense for that 75 not to heat that tank up -- its too bad you dont have a infrared heat gun --- you could could get a temp of all over that tank w/ that thing quickly - they sell those at your local home improvement stores for around $10-12 and they are accurate --- if you decide to get one it would be handy for your bigger tank you would use it ----------------
Dubias are a better choice for staple feeder so I would stick w/ them plus they are easier to use for feeding in a glass bowl or ceramic bowl - no more meal worms they are too hard on the babies stomachs -- you can feed him small super worms if you can find them butter worms silk worms and horn worms -- and BSFL --- I will give you some websites for these worms --
https://symtonbsf.com/ order large they are small and are great for salad toppers feed as many as you want as they are another staple feeder dont dust them
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ silk worms another staple feeder as of the moment they are out of stock
https://reptilianarts.com/ they have them in stock -- I would wait to order some of these as hes pretty little now but when he gets bigger you can feed him these these people are good and fast for sending
www.dubiaroaches.com these people are out of Kansas and they have good worms -- look at getting him some butter worms and some horn worms --- horn worms are a good hydrating worm order small amounts they grow really fast you dont want to feed him a worm or insect too big for him so be caustious --- the butter worms are nice soft worms and can be used to lure him to the bowl for his salads -- is he drinking from the water dish -- if not you need to keep him hydrated that is why he needs to be eating salads - you can rinse the greens before serving so they are moist -- those pellets will dry him out if hes eating them --------------- he needs water -- so you can mist him w/ a water bottle see if he will drink water off his nose - that too will cause them not to eat
Thank you for all your feedback and help I really appreciate it. I went and bought a new 75watt bulb that keeps his basking spot better. I’m having trouble with the humidity in the cage being too high around 50 I know it’s supposed to be 20-30

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
106f in the basking and 80-85 in the cooler zones. He doesn’t have the UVB light on that was causing the eye issues

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so you are good on basking temps--- now 15 minutes outside in the direct sun will help w/ appetite and hopefully no more eye issues-- he should start eating as well - even a little - offer him salads and his bugs- make sure dusting his insects w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week
The UVB light just was delivered. I put it on top of the 10 gallon. I’m getting my 55 gallon soon. Is it fine sitting on the top of the screen on his tank? Here is a photo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
You got the T 5 ? Thats what it looks like --- you want the T 5 approx 8-10 inches from his basking decor--and sitting directly above him
Yes it is the T5 24” it lays across the whole thing. His basking spot is that log under that one lamp. The distance from the top of his tank where the uvb is and where he lays to bask is about 8-10 inches.

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so here is what I want you to do -- take your fixture and cover half of it up so hes only getting 12 inches of the UVB - so if he wants he can escape the rays --- since the tank is so small I dont want to over UVB him --- use a towel or dish towel something to cover half for now --- once he goes into the 55 gallon it will be fine - the fixture will be good for that tank --- those bulbs dont get that hot --- then watch his behavior ---
Okay seems simple enough. Should I keep the UVB part on the basking side or his cooling side? Will it work if I let it hang off the tank or does it have to be covered?

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
you can put it width wise if your want and let it hang over the side of the tank - so keeping your basking area the same - change it see how he acts --- that way he can go to one side of the tank to bask and have the other side out of the heat if he wants as well as the UVB
Like this? I notice he never leaves his basking spot. He usually lays there all the time.

Attachments

• 0719D35F-305E-454A-8C3D-84361E7C2204.jpeg
    0719D35F-305E-454A-8C3D-84361E7C2204.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
View attachment 21775 Hi guys I am a beginner with beardies. I picked up my first one as a baby last Thursday (the 2nd) the first couple of days I could tell he was stressed I think he still is but he has only eaten twice in the time I have had him and my most biggest concern is he keeps his eyes are shut constantly in the past few days. I have him a basking spot at 107f and a cooling area around 75-80. He also has a tube reptisun UVB light. I have tried feeding crickets, mealworms, strawberries, banana, cucumber, the food the store I got him from fed him, and Dubia roaches. He will sometimes move around but usually his eyes are completely shut. I have looked around and he doesn’t seem to have anything in his eyes. There is no sand or anything like that in his tank either.
He could be be still adjusting to the new environment. What is his temperature and do you have a uvb tube light. For babies their temperature should be between 105-110 degrees.

Melanie White

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for all your feedback and help I really appreciate it. I went and bought a new 75watt bulb that keeps his basking spot better. I’m having trouble with the humidity in the cage being too high around 50 I know it’s supposed to be 20-30
Hi, I've been reading your issues and the suggestions from Kaylynangel. Sounds like good advice to me. Just know that each time you change his cage, it's trial and error to get things right.
I always have extra bulbs of different sizes on hand. So don't feel as though you're "wasting" money buying more! Bulbs burn out and you never want them to go without heat for more than a few hours! When seasons change, the temp in my house changed. So when is summer and my house is hot, I end up needing to change to smaller watt basking lights, and bigger ones in winter.
Also, one of the best things that I purchased for all my reptiles was a Infrared Thermometer Laser! Mine was only about $20 on Amazon. It tells me EXACTLY what the Temps are..no guessing!! I use it when I give baths, to ensure the water is a perfect temp (90-98°F).
About the UV bulbs, I would do as Kaylyn suggested, since you need to buy another one already, just go ahead and buy the bigger one (24")now with the smaller wattage (T-5 5.0) then when you're getting ready to move him into the 55gal.. order the T-5 10.0! Just make sure, he has a hide spot that he can get out of the heat AND the UV!
Now with his diet... variety is key for sure! Beardies are notorious for being picky eaters! Just think, they're aren't many fruits in the wild where they naturally live, so fed those as treats like you would as of you were eating ice cream (special occasions).
His behavior will change as he gets older, so do exactly like you did and keep and eye on him. When something doesn't seem right, start checking his enclosure to make sure Temps are correct (again), give him a bath, if you've fed him something different, don't feed again so you can eliminate things that could be causing that.
Supplements.... vitamins, calcium w/o d3 and calcium w/d3. I do calcium w/o d3 every day, except weekends(the UV light is making his body produce d3). Vitamins on weekends. And calcium w/d3 a couple days a month, just in case to ensure he gets enough!
I've been in the same place as you as far as not having a UV light for various reasons (as do probl'y every reptile enthusiast), taking him outside for 15-20 when the weather is decent, is just fine! The only thing I would do different than what Kaylynn suggested , would be to just hold him! Don't put him in a container! Mine like to sit on my shoulder or my knee. Just go sit on your porch every day for a few until you can get the correct UV bulb! I like doing this on nice days anyways bcuz natural UV is GREAT for them!
Good luck!! Hope this info helps as well!! And always come back here when you need help! Take care!!

Melanie White

Bearded Dragon Egg
Replacing those pellets will help lower the humidity!! Get a cheap linoleum, or tile that's easy to clean!

Jessicab

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I've been reading your issues and the suggestions from Kaylynangel. Sounds like good advice to me. Just know that each time you change his cage, it's trial and error to get things right.
I always have extra bulbs of different sizes on hand. So don't feel as though you're "wasting" money buying more! Bulbs burn out and you never want them to go without heat for more than a few hours! When seasons change, the temp in my house changed. So when is summer and my house is hot, I end up needing to change to smaller watt basking lights, and bigger ones in winter.
Also, one of the best things that I purchased for all my reptiles was a Infrared Thermometer Laser! Mine was only about $20 on Amazon. It tells me EXACTLY what the Temps are..no guessing!! I use it when I give baths, to ensure the water is a perfect temp (90-98°F).
About the UV bulbs, I would do as Kaylyn suggested, since you need to buy another one already, just go ahead and buy the bigger one (24")now with the smaller wattage (T-5 5.0) then when you're getting ready to move him into the 55gal.. order the T-5 10.0! Just make sure, he has a hide spot that he can get out of the heat AND the UV!
Now with his diet... variety is key for sure! Beardies are notorious for being picky eaters! Just think, they're aren't many fruits in the wild where they naturally live, so fed those as treats like you would as of you were eating ice cream (special occasions).
His behavior will change as he gets older, so do exactly like you did and keep and eye on him. When something doesn't seem right, start checking his enclosure to make sure Temps are correct (again), give him a bath, if you've fed him something different, don't feed again so you can eliminate things that could be causing that.
Supplements.... vitamins, calcium w/o d3 and calcium w/d3. I do calcium w/o d3 every day, except weekends(the UV light is making his body produce d3). Vitamins on weekends. And calcium w/d3 a couple days a month, just in case to ensure he gets enough!
I've been in the same place as you as far as not having a UV light for various reasons (as do probl'y every reptile enthusiast), taking him outside for 15-20 when the weather is decent, is just fine! The only thing I would do different than what Kaylynn suggested , would be to just hold him! Don't put him in a container! Mine like to sit on my shoulder or my knee. Just go sit on your porch every day for a few until you can get the correct UV bulb! I like doing this on nice days anyways bcuz natural UV is GREAT for them!
Good luck!! Hope this info helps as well!! And always come back here when you need help! Take care!!
Hi! Thank you for your response. Since he only has the 10 gallon tank for now it’s been hard to get him the right temp I don’t want to accidentally burn him up. I have the 75 watt that does not get his basking spot warm at all not sure why because I know it should be getting it warmer but it only will bring it to 89f but when I used a 60watt I bought from Walmart it will usually get it warmer (100-110) but not always it sometimes won’t. It may be the positioning of the thermometer though I’m not that good with those sorts of things so the Thermometer Laser would be a great idea! I give him baths cause I know he is dehydrated but when I say he won’t eat he will not eat. It’s hard to give him what he needs including water since they get their water from food mostly. He is very very stiff and his eyes stay shut most of the time unless he opens them to check something that might be going on. I did get the UVB in the mail and I set that up but not much has changed. I take him out into the sunlight but where I live it’s been kind of cold.

Sophia7810

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey. So I'm not saying to not listen to the others not by any means. But I want you to know that every single beardie that I've bought from a pet store has always looked like this. The first beardie of mine I took to the vet and they treated him for parasites and he died. Which was very sad. I have 11 dragons and almost everyone of them looked like your beardie. So I purchased retaboost from the local pet store. At times you might have to force feed him/her. I see the sagging skin. It's as simple as mixing the right amount of reptaboost to water ratio. If you go and get that, your dragon will live. I'm not saying what the others are saying is not true. But I really think you should go get reptaboost from the pet store. He also looks a little dehydrated, which the reptaboost will help. Sorry about the paragraph. If you think about it, we have tried it. Reptaboost is the only thing that kept mine alive. It works immediately. We were told it was lighting, parasites, husbandry, improper heat and possibly the food. Each dragon is different. I don't own a business. Each of my dragons looked as if they were dying. I also have one the has a serious case of MBD. I'll upload a picture of what Leather Back looked like when I got her and one from today.
20200416_094521.jpg
20200416_094322.jpg

Latest posts