• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Closed eyes! Help!

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie is about 3 months old, I've had him for 4 days now. His temperatures and lights are correct. But he won't open his eyes since this morning when I turned his lights on. Only for a split second to grab a cricket when I feed it to him. He won't eat veggies (I tried that before the crickets) and he's been sleeping during that day a little bit. He's also just at the beginning of shed. Is this just something they do at the beginning of shed? Please help. Im really worried about him. Btw he doesn't have anything in his eyes and they're clear.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Assuming that your tempts and lights are actually correct, he's probably still getting used to the place and they can tend to hide or sleep all day at first. However, when you handle him, he should be alert and strong. If he's kinda flaccid/weak and keeps his eyes closed even when you handle him, then something is wrong. If his eyes are noticeably sunken in, then something's wrong.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie is about 3 months old, I've had him for 4 days now. His temperatures and lights are correct. But he won't open his eyes since this morning when I turned his lights on. Only for a split second to grab a cricket when I feed it to him. He won't eat veggies (I tried that before the crickets) and he's been sleeping during that day a little bit. He's also just at the beginning of shed. Is this just something they do at the beginning of shed? Please help. Im really worried about him. Btw he doesn't have anything in his eyes and they're clear.
Lighting is crucial in the tank- he should not be keeping his eyes closed- are you using a coil uvb-- off colored basking bulb or off white? Basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? Those things I just asked about are the most important thing

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Lighting is crucial in the tank- he should not be keeping his eyes closed- are you using a coil uvb-- off colored basking bulb or off white? Basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer? Those things I just asked about are the most important thing
He's got a 100w MVB. His basking spot is at about 106 throughout the day warm side 80 cool side closer to mid 70s gets about 70 at night (I cant keep it any warmer than that even with a 60w CHE included.

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Assuming that your tempts and lights are actually correct, he's probably still getting used to the place and they can tend to hide or sleep all day at first. However, when you handle him, he should be alert and strong. If he's kinda flaccid/weak and keeps his eyes closed even when you handle him, then something is wrong. If his eyes are noticeably sunken in, then something's wrong.
He has them open right when inget to the cage and right when I pick him up. But then closes them again. His eyes don't look sunken in to me, but here's a picture. He's just begun shed and I also handle him every day, since the day I got him. So maybe he's just stressed/tired?

Attachments

• 20210122_125224.jpg
    20210122_125224.jpg
    837.3 KB · Views: 27

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has them open right when inget to the cage and right when I pick him up. But then closes them again. His eyes don't look sunken in to me, but here's a picture. He's just begun shed and I also handle him every day, since the day I got him. So maybe he's just stressed/tired?
He seems totally fine other than his eyes are closed. He walks around and stuff seemingly just like he did when i got him

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Btw temperatures are being checked every two hours day and night with a digital heat gun

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Btw temperatures are being checked every two hours day and night with a digital heat gun
Temps do not need to be checked that often --- you need correct UVB properly placed w/ correct basking temps -- those two things are the most important things in the tank ---- if they are off he will not thrive and get sick - basking temps are good w/ an IR gun but IR guns do not often give correct temps off of certain materials like hammocks -- you need a digital probe thermometers I would recommend two of them one for your basking side and one for the cool side of the tank --- if your using a COIL UVB those are NO good and inadequate and can cause eye issues -- w/him opening them from out of the basking area like your UVB and basking lamp tells me one or both are off -- his eyes should be clear and open --- they do shut one when basking that is normal but to have them both closed the whole time hes under them something is off

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Earlier this morning he was also taking little short naps. Please help. Im so worried about my little guy and I cant afford to take him to the vet

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Temps do not need to be checked that often --- you need correct UVB properly placed w/ correct basking temps -- those two things are the most important things in the tank ---- if they are off he will not thrive and get sick - basking temps are good w/ an IR gun but IR guns do not often give correct temps off of certain materials like hammocks -- you need a digital probe thermometers I would recommend two of them one for your basking side and one for the cool side of the tank --- if your using a COIL UVB those are NO good and inadequate and can cause eye issues -- w/him opening them from out of the basking area like your UVB and basking lamp tells me one or both are off -- his eyes should be clear and open --- they do shut one when basking that is normal but to have them both closed the whole time hes under them something is off
So is an MVB ok? Or not? And his basking spot is a stone paver, not a hammock. So it should read correctly right?

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Also I only check the temps that much because I'm paranoid with my little baby. Ill stop checking it so often though

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
What really confuses me is that he'll still eat crickets. But only opens his eyes for a spilt second to grab them and closes them again. What do I do?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So is an MVB ok? Or not? And his basking spot is a stone paver, not a hammock. So it should read correctly right?
You need to get a digital probe thermometer to make sure your getting a accurate reading from the IR gun -- its better to be safe than sorry -- set the probe on the spot he basks at wait 10 minutes or so get temp you can get one at Petco or PetSmart for around $8 --- what MVB are you using? NO ReptiGlo they are known to cause eye issues --- PowerSun and MegaRay are real good ones --- I do recommend if your staying w/ the MVB you want to ad an additional UVB sometimes they do not give off enough UVB and you want to make sure he has an option to get it if he needs it --- lets first get the MVB situated then we can talk about the UVB add on

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You need to get a digital probe thermometer to make sure your getting a accurate reading from the IR gun -- its better to be safe than sorry -- set the probe on the spot he basks at wait 10 minutes or so get temp you can get one at Petco or PetSmart for around $8 --- what MVB are you using? NO ReptiGlo they are known to cause eye issues --- PowerSun and MegaRay are real good ones --- I do recommend if your staying w/ the MVB you want to ad an additional UVB sometimes they do not give off enough UVB and you want to make sure he has an option to get it if he needs it --- lets first get the MVB situated then we can talk about the UVB add on
Is he shedding on or around his eyes?

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
The box says Aiicioo 100W. If you're unsure about that one, ill try to get a different one tomorrow. I also cant really afford a UVB. But if its absolutely nessecary, ill do whatever I can.

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
He has them open much more when he's out of the cage. But maybe thats just because I'm freaking him out? If I don't move at all then he keeps them closed

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The box says Aiicioo 100W. If you're unsure about that one, ill try to get a different one tomorrow. I also cant really afford a UVB. But if its absolutely nessecary, ill do whatever I can.
Yes get rid of the mvb I have never heard of it--- you have a couple of options here- you can stay w/ the mvb going w/.the powersun 100 watt or megaray 100 watt or a regular bright white basking bulb 100 watt -- your tank is a 40.+ gallon ? Then you would need to get a 24" hood like a Zoo Med and a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5-- let me know what you decide then we need to talk about placement and distances

Jaq_Wyld_45

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes get rid of the mvb I have never heard of it--- you have a couple of options here- you can stay w/ the mvb going w/.the powersun 100 watt or megaray 100 watt or a regular bright white basking bulb 100 watt -- your tank is a 40.+ gallon ? Then you would need to get a 24" hood like a Zoo Med and a 22" Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5-- let me know what you decide then we need to talk about placement and distances
I cant afford a UVB :(
But ill definitely get a different MVB. And his tank is one of those wooded tortoise cages. Be he seems to really like it. Its about 40G. A little bigger I think.

Latest posts