• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cliché newbie questions

Ray

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone. I'm buying a baby beardie soon and want to make sure I'm doing this right. I've got a 55 gallon (which I will make smaller until it gets bigger) and I'm going to have the uvb and heat bulbs, hides and all that good stuff. Also tile as the bottom. I'm going to bulk buy 250 crickets at the appropriate size and keep them in a 10 gallon with the flukers hydration chunks and food. If I get the hydration gel with the calcium, do I still have to dust them? I will also offer veggies everyday.. Does this all check out? Thanks guys

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I still dust my crickets even though I use the calcium gel.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would also still dust the crickets. It really couldn't hurt even though it's a little bit more of a pain...
Have you looked into Dubia Roaches? I have the darnedest time keeping crickets alive

Ray

Bearded Dragon Egg
Idk I'm really just trying to get a pet and dubias are more expensive. Do they require the same care and do they grow faster?

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the best approach with dubias is to breed them. yup. it's not hard. its soooooo much easier than dealing with crickets. i feed my geckos small dubias and they get crickets as a treat when i get into town (i live in a small town an hour from anywhere). breeding dubias consists of warm dark container with egg cartons, dry food (i grind up a mix of dog food, oatmeal, powdered milk, stale crackers ETC) and quarter an orange or grapefruit for liquid source. throughout the week i may (or may not) add apple core, greens that the beardies didnt eat, ends of carrots, etc. they dont stink, dont jump, live for quite a long time (i bought 50 assorted a couple of months ago - for the express purpose of breeding cuz both my beardies were brumating) i have a pretty good colony goin now. unless you live in Canada or Florida (where they're illegal) check Craigslist. The price will beat ANY pet store. Just make sure to meet your supplier in a public area - i usually use a gas station (well lighted, lots of people) you should dust them, too.

Ray

Bearded Dragon Egg
the best approach with dubias is to breed them. yup. it's not hard. its soooooo much easier than dealing with crickets. i feed my geckos small dubias and they get crickets as a treat when i get into town (i live in a small town an hour from anywhere). breeding dubias consists of warm dark container with egg cartons, dry food (i grind up a mix of dog food, oatmeal, powdered milk, stale crackers ETC) and quarter an orange or grapefruit for liquid source. throughout the week i may (or may not) add apple core, greens that the beardies didnt eat, ends of carrots, etc. they dont stink, dont jump, live for quite a long time (i bought 50 assorted a couple of months ago - for the express purpose of breeding cuz both my beardies were brumating) i have a pretty good colony goin now. unless you live in Canada or Florida (where they're illegal) check Craigslist. The price will beat ANY pet store. Just make sure to meet your supplier in a public area - i usually use a gas station (well lighted, lots of people) you should dust them, too.
Well I know babies can eat up to 60 crickets a day. How would I breed that many roaches? How many would I need

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
probably gonna need to feed crickets until your colony gets goin. you CAN buy baby dubias (nymphs) but you might be charged a bit more (still less than a pet store) your baby beardie wont eat as many dubias as crickets - they're more concentrated. cant give you a ratio. i would guess at least 1 dubia to 3 or 4 crickets tho. depending on sizes. a varied nutritional souce is a good idea. got both of mine as growed ups so not versed in the care of infants.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Welcome! Sounds like your ready. Set up before your dragon comes monitoring temp. etc. that way it will be ready when you get your dragon. I am excited for you. I hope you share pictures when the new dragon arrives.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You want a 40 gallon breeder tank for your dragon in all reality. Height isn't great but floorspace leads to happy dragons. Every dubia online seller has a veggi roach chow that you can buy. You wasnt them eating that to eliminate the chance of your dragon getting gout. A young dragon probably won't be a veggi eater until it becomes a juvenile unless you have an older dragon show it how.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The breeder I got mine from starts the babies on greens at a week old. Mine has been eating greens since the day I got him.Its only a few bites a day but I see him eating his greens so hopefully he will continue and enjoy them as an adult.

Latest posts